LZHS offers free heart screening for all students

The Max Schewitz Foundation will offer free heart screenings to all LZHS students using Electrocardiogram (EKG) machines set up in the Tonelli gym during students’ P.E periods next semester.

“The test can give students an idea of if they have a normal heartbeat or not. It’s something that any person walking around the street would be better off knowing,” Todd Gregory, department chair head for P.E and health, said.

On February 8, on-site cardiologists will examine only students’ EKG reports to find any abnormal readings, since many life threatening cardiac diseases may not show any physical symptoms. All parents will receive information and a consent form in January regarding the testing day.

There will be 16-20 booths in the Tonelli gym with 130-150 trained parent volunteers, who will be placing the sensors on student’s chests. The volunteers will separate male and female students, and the procedure itself should only take approximately five minutes but the result time is unknown, Gregory said.

“If an abnormal reading is found, it does not always indicate a serious issue; it just means that [the EKG reading] needs to be investigated further. The reading is then sent directly to the parents [of the child],” Adrienne Casanova, an Illinois certified nurse, said.

If a student does not hand in his or her signed consent form by the due date, then those students will not be tested and will attend regular P.E.

“I’m hoping for 90-95 percent of the students to get tested. It’s a high number but I’m really hopeful,” Gregory said.

The Max Schewitz Foundation is hoping for at least 80 percent of LZHS to show up for the testing, which has been the turnout at many other schools in the state, Gregory said.

“I think it’s a good idea because, even though some people might think it’s an awkward procedure, it’s important that problems can be detected before it’s too late,” Nikki Gabrione, freshman, said.

For students that want to participate in the testing, look for signs and memos about the event.

“The biggest help that students could give would be to make sure they turn in those signed consent forms to their P.E teachers,” Gregory said.

To help advertise the event, faculty will be placing posters about the testing and the foundation around the school. Several upcoming newsletters and emails will answer additional questions.