Students no longer able to park at ‘Water Tower’

Parking at the World Wide Transmission parking lot, also known as ‘the Water Tower,’ is prohibited to students. Students who violate the rule will be towed from the property.

“We have many problems because of safety that students have been parking on our private property and we are not okay with it,” Geraod Ceachin, worker at World Wide Transmission, said. “This whole thing must stop immediately.”

The company has not wanted students parking in their private property since the beginning, Ceachin said.

“Students have approached us in the past asking to park in the lot,” Ceachin said. “We turned them down and said absolutely not, but the students continued to anyway.”

The World Wide Transmission company never agreed to let the students park on their business property and increasing concerns over safety led to the new enforcement of the company’s policy.

“We are mainly concerned with the safety of the students and the liability issues that could happen if anyone were to get hurt walking along Midlothian Road to get to our property,” Ceachin said. “For their own good and our own good, it’s not a good idea, period.”

The school administration also expresses concerns over students parking at World Wide Transmission.

“We also thought of this as a major issue for safety,” Bryan Stortz, dean, said. “We contacted them and asked what they thought of our students parking in their parking lot, and they were not on board.”

The reason students park at World Wide Transmission is because of the lack of parking availability on campus.

“I’m really not sure what we’re all going to do,” Jackie Robin, junior, said. “There’s just not enough parking at Lake Zurich and it’s creating a huge problem.” 

The high school recognizes the issue for student parking, and that there is not enough spots to accommodate the students.

“Starting second quarter we will open up applications for juniors to pay and also park in the senior lot,” Stortz said. “About 80 juniors will receive the opportunity to receive a spot if the application is turned in on time and the student can pay.”