Bare Voices performs in SING! Competition

Bare Voices performed at Deer Park Town Center in the SING! Competition on Saturday, September 17.

In the SING! Competition, Bare Voices competed against other top acapella groups in the area. During their performance, judges critiqued the group between each song.

“After all of the groups perform at Deer Park, the top three soloists and the top three groups will be chosen to advance to the national round,” Savannah Haeger, Bare Voices Alto and senior, said. “They decide the finalists by 50 percent judges’ critiques and 50 percent text message votes.”

Throughout the week before the performance, Bare Voices received perks for being in the SING! Competition. Kevin Briody, a Daytime Emmy Award-winning singer/songwriter, had lunch with Bare Voices on the day before the performance and even had dinner with all of the contestants at Biaggi’s to share some insight into his career.

“It was very interesting to hear about how he takes care of his voice,” Haeger said. “He played an acoustic set at Biaggi’s, which was very cool.”

The winner of the SING! Competition will receive a $5000 Deer Park Town Center gift card and $20,000 to donate to the charity of their choice, which Bare Voices would give to the Michael Lynch Foundation, an organization that gives college scholarships to children who lost parents in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center.

As far as the competition is concerned, Bare Voices is excited to hear the results.

“We heard two other groups sing today, and they did very well,” Haeger said. “As a group, we try to focus on making the audience like us and our personalities. So as far as stage presence is concerned, I hope we have a leg up. Overall, everyone did a great job and we’re really excited to be in this competition.”