Rachel’s Challenge comes to LZHS

“I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same,” Rachel Scott, who was killed in the 1999 Columbine High School shooting, wrote in an essay she titled “My Ethics, My Codes of Life.”

Scott wrote the essay one month before she was killed in the shooting on April 20, 1999. Her parents now work to carry out her theory in a program they call “Rachel’s Challenge.”

On September 15, students will witness a video covering Rachel’s life. Instructors will then ask students to accept Rachel’s Challenge. The five goals in Rachel’s Challenge ask that students eliminate prejudice, dare to dream, choose their influences, use kind words, and start a chain reaction of kindness.

At 7pm, also on September 15, the school will also present the same assembly for parents.

“Rachel’s Challenge is a program meant to inspire, equip, and empower every person to create a permanent positive culture change in their school, business, and community by starting a chain reaction of kindness and compassion,” Kim Kolze, principal, said.

The program attempts to change the way students look at each other, and to create a safer learning environment, according to the Rachel’s Challenge website.

Kolze said a dean first heard about the program happening in Libertyville, and thought it would be a good thing for the school.

Students’ opinions differ on the outcome of the upcoming assembly.

“You can’t force somebody to be good, and when you try to force someone to be kind, their first natural reaction is to rebel against it,” Emmy Schwerdt, freshman, said.

Logan Ejupi, also a freshman, thinks otherwise.

“The assembly looks like it could be wonderful, and have a great, positive impact in the day-to-day experiences of the school. However, and this is key, for any changes to occur, the whole student body, the faculty, everyone needs to participate. In the end, all of us have to take the message to heart to see the positive benefits,” Ejupi said.

Ejupi strongly believes that they assembly can help, but everyone needs to participate.

“You just might start a chain reaction,” Scott once said. According to Kolze, this is what the school is hoping to accomplish with this program.