LZHS cell phone policy changes

This summer LZHS administration has decided to accept personal use of electronic devices and cell phones among the student body.

Students will be able to use their cell phones during lunch and passing periods as well as in the classroom at the teachers discretion.

“Educationally, the power of these devices can be harnessed,” Eric Hamilton, Assistant Principal of Curriculum and Instruction, said. “The computing power that people have in their hands can be harnessed within the classroom.”

As well as the value internet phones can bring to students educations, Hamilton said the administration realized that even when students were not allowed to use cell phones during lunch, passing periods, and in class, that students were still using them, regardless.

“Reality is we also knew that last year when we didn’t allow cell phones that students were using them under their desk to text,” Hamilton said. “Also things like the iPhone and Android blurred the discretion between an mp3 player and a cell phone.”

A school wide Wi-Fi system has been set up so students can log in and use free internet as long as they provide an email address.

Hamilton also stressed the fact that with accepted use of cell phones comes a bigger responsibility and wants to make sure students are keeping  their electronics in safe places and locking them up when not in use.

“We realized that the cell phones weren’t going away, and as an educational institution, it is our role to teach acceptable and responsible use of these devices,” Hamilton said.