Weird Water

Student and faculty give opinions of water around the school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Weird Water

The schools upstairs water fountain. According to Kasey Ledinsky, sophomore, this water fountain has the best tasting water.

Ruby Lueras

Ruby Lueras

Ruby Lueras

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

Whether it be walking across the school for the “best” water from the fountains, or simply not drinking that water at all, students and faculty have noticed the wonky water throughout the school.

For some students, where they get their water from is important. Kasey Ledinsky, sophomore, says she doesn’t like spending her money on plastic water bottles, so drinking from fountains is what she finds “most convenient.” According to Ledinsky, she knows where water around the school tastes the best and worst.

“The water on the upper floors is the best; [it] just tastes crisper and colder,” Ledinsky said. “The water by all gyms taste kind of metallic-y and I think it’s really gross.”

Do YOU drink school water?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

However, other people think it’s best to avoid the non-filtered water in Lake Zurich as often as possible. Laura Kustra, AP World History Teacher, was raised in Lake Zurich and was taught to never drink tap water.

“Growing up, my parents told me to never drink the tap water. [My parents] said they would get notices from the village saying there were contaminants in the water, but they were at a safe level to consume, which my parents did not trust. So ever since I was young, I never drank tap water.”

While Kustra avoids the drinking water, Ledinsky may sometimes go out of her way to find the right water.

“I remember once during lunch I made my friend walk all the way up the stairs just so I could get a drink of water,” Ledinsky said. “She was very confused as to why we were walking so far because we had literally passed another water fountain on the way there.”

While Kustra says, she doesn’t think everyone in the school shares her opinion of not drinking the un-filtered water, she believes people are becoming more aware of what is in their water.

“I’ve noticed that there’s almost always a line to the filtration [water bottle filing] stations. So I would assume that the Lake Zurich community is at least aware, and wants the best quality water out there,” Kustra said. “In my opinion, if water has a distinct taste, I wouldn’t drink it [and] I think the filters help with purifying the water from all contaminants.”

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

As a sophomore, this is Ruby's first year as a staff writer. Ruby is involved with track and cross country but when shes not running you can find her watching...