Lone language club

Why German club remains the only current language club at LZ

German Club at their outing to the Christkindlemarkt. It is outings like these that may be part of the clubs success.

Photo used with permission of Kirsten Mazurkiewicz

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

Of the three languages offered through the school, only one continued to have a club where students may learn more about the culture surrounding their targeted language.

German club is the only language club offered this school year. The club has around 35 students registered in its email list, and this large number has hardlywaveredd throughout the school years, according to Andrew Ziarnik, German club sponsor

Ziarnik partly credits the success of German club to how laid back the club is and how they have many outings together.

“The club is for sure easygoing. Perfect ability of [the] German language is not necessary. We’ve even had Spanish and French students who are interested and join the club,” Ziarnik said. “We do a lot of different activities depending on the season and what’s going on [around the area]. For example, we did Oktoberfest and typically in December we will have an outing to the Kristkindl Markt [also known as] a German Christmas market. Sometimes we’ll just go to a restaurant, [like] Fritzel’s.”

Success of the club can also be credited to student excitement and motivation provided by Ziarnik, said Kirstin Mazurkiewicz, German Club President.

“We brag about [being the only language club] all the time. I think part of it is because our sponsor is really motivated, he really encourages people to actually care about the culture. Also, a lot of students are excited about the whole cultural aspect of German class,” Mazurkiewicz said. “I really don’t know why the other two clubs don’t exist, though, you would think students would feel passionate about those, too.”

According to Ziarnik, it’s not a lack of passion or interest that cause Spanish and French club not to exist: its more so an issue with time.

“I don’t think there’s a lack of interest for other language clubs. For years French and Spanish have had clubs that were engaged with doing stuff in the school,” Ziarnik said. “I think it may have to with some of the other language sponsors having small children and at the moment they have a lot to do with their families. It’s hard for them to plan that in and to make time for it.”

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

As a sophomore, this is Ruby's first year as a staff writer. Ruby is involved with track and cross country but when shes not running you can find her watching...