Living life with alopecia: how one sophomore deals with the judgment of others

Jimmy+Brodersen+%28left%29+with+one+of+his+friends+back+in+Wisconsin.+Moving+into+the+district+this+year+has+meant+Brodersen+has+had+to+make+all+new+friends.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jimmy Brodersen (left) with one of his friends back in Wisconsin. Moving into the district this year has meant Brodersen has had to make all new friends.

Photo used with permission of Jimmy Brodersen

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

Being a new kid in a big school is never easy, especially not when you have a trait that stands out from the rest.

This is a story that Jimmy Broderson, sophomore, is all too familiar with. Broderson has no hair on his body, which is caused by the autoimmune disorder alopecia. Symptoms of the condition first started to show when he was three, and by fifth grade, he was completely bald.

“Alopecia is an autoimmune disease where your body attacks your hair follicles, they’re [what] basically let normal people grow hair. It’s more common where people just have bald spots, and they just cover it up. My form is a lot less common where I’m completely bald,” Broderson said. “I’m physically healthy, [and] I would really just like people to know that I don’t have cancer.”

Since he’s dealt with this his entire life, he’s used to being judged for his looks, Broderson says, and he says he doesn’t mind answering peoples questions and curiosities as long as they approach it the right way.

“I really have no problem with talking to people about it, I just don’t like it when people are rude about it. Say something like,‘hey, if you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you have hair.’ Just don’t say it like you’re making fun of me,” Broderson said. “That’s when I’ll say something rude or snarky back to you.”

Being new to the school district this year means people ask him questions often, says Broderson. It has also allowed him to make new friends, such as Kasey Ledinsky, sophomore. The two met over the summer during driving school, and according to Ledinsky, she is really glad they got to be closer this year.

“Jimmy is open minded, kind, and he goes with the flow. He’s extremely funny and just a nice guy to be around overall,” Ledinsky said. “I’m glad I got to get to know him.”

Living with alopecia has made Brode a better person, he says. He says the disease used to control his life, and he would spend a lot of time worrying about it. Now, he says he could care less.

“Back then, it definitely changed me as a person. I would always wear a hat because I thought if I wore a hat, people wouldn’t notice. But they always did. It took me a couple years to get over it and now I just don’t really care what people think of me,” Brode said. “I’m still a little insecure about it, but at this point, I don’t care anymore, [because] life’s too short for that.”

Ruby Lueras, Staff Writer

As a sophomore, this is Ruby's first year as a staff writer. Ruby is involved with track and cross country but when shes not running you can find her watching...