Let’s talk passion

ISHA varsity sport that is spreading the word

(From left to right) Katherine Czarnik, junior, Jack Lamb, junior, and Neha Praseed, senior, competed at Sectional last year for speech and acting.

(From left to right) Katherine Czarnik, junior, Jack Lamb, junior, and Neha Praseed, senior, competed at Sectional last year for speech and acting. "We're a highly competitive, national institution and our members find that thrilling and motivating," Praceed said. "At the same time, our biggest objective is to help each other speak and present ourselves proficiently and confidently."

Photo used with permission by: Suhanee Patel, sophomore

Chloe Faris, Magazine Editor-in-Chief

Whether it is spreading the message of speaking the truth or performing a humorous piece using your culture as inspiration, speech and acting team is a way for students to spread messages they are passionate about, while also growing their public speaking skills.

“[Speech and acting] is a great way for you to increase your confidence when public speaking because if you’re not confident right now, you have to start and learn somewhere,” Suhanee Patel, sophomore leader, said. “I think it is an environment that’s safe, where you can express yourself and choose a piece that you’re passionate about. If you’re passionate about the thing that you’re talking about it’s definitely helpful for your confidence. I don’t think there’s a point performing a piece if you’re not passionate about the topic, because you’re not going to enjoy it.”

IHSA recognizes 14 competitive categories that span the spectrum of public speaking. Some of these categories include radio speaking, poetry, prose, and formal and informative oratory. There are comedic categories where students can act out humorous scripts and speeches, as well as dramatic categories that explore the performer’s theatrical range. Students are also free to write and perform their own comedies or speeches, Neha Praseed, senior leader, said.

Since freshman year I’ve predominantly explored the comedic opportunities,” Praseed said. “I typically write and perform comedies as opposed to working with published material because it gives me the freedom to bring my original content and characters to life. The piece I wrote last year was inspired by some of the unconventional members in my family. I wanted to shed a humorous light on cultural differences and misunderstandings,  as well as plenty of toilet jokes. I do try to stick to real, personal experiences. Jokes land better when the audience finds truth and authenticity in them.”

Patel also writes her own speeches, as opposed to pieces by other authors, because it helps her get her thoughts out through a creative outlet, she said.

“You can basically include your likes into your piece,” Patel said. “I took the more serious journey in my speech and acting piece where I was talking about speaking the truth and being mindful of others surround you. As a teen in today’s society, I can see the effects that lies have on people like bullying, families breaking apart, and suicide. I wanted to bring awareness to this and writing a piece that has won multiple awards has left me content knowing that I’ve been able to share it. It allows me to have creative liberty.”

The powerful message Patel spreads through her speeches is a reason why she is a part of the team. She says students should join to find something they are passionate about which will then translate to confident public speaking skills.

“The team grows almost exponentially every year. Some years ago it was four people on the team, and this past season we formed the largest group we’ve ever had,” Praseed said. “I want to take advantage of the growth and build the team so that students can use it as a resource to develop the speaking and communication skills they need for the rest of their lives. We want more of LZHS to take notice and support our team every year.”

Chloe Faris, Magazine Editor-in-Chief
Along with being Editor-in-Chief of the Bear Facts magazine, Chloe is involved with Yearbook, Student Leadership, Student Council, SNAP, and Interact. She is also an Integrated PE leader. In Chloe’s free time she loves to spend time with her friends and family.