50% boys, 50% girls, 100% family

madison headshot GREYSCALE

If you think sharing a bathroom in the morning with one other person is hard, imagine sharing a bathroom with eleven other people. Therese Madison, sophomore, is the ninth out of twelve children in her family. The ages of her siblings range from 12 to 34 years old. It is not every day that you see a real life Cheaper by the dozen family, so Bear Facts caught up with the Madisons to share all of the excitement that goes on in her family.

Q: With so many people in your family, how do family events usually go?

A: Generally, we all get together once a month for birthdays etcetera, at one house, whether it be mine or one of my siblings’. With so many people, it is always crazy. As I have 11 nieces and nephews, there are always little kids running around.

Q: What is the craziest thing that has happened when all of you guys were together?

A: When I was little, we were interviewed for TV show on NBC. They sent camera crews to film us all. They also interviewed all of us, and we still have all of the footage. In the end, they said we were too normal, so we didn’t get the show. In reality, we are all crazy, but our parents told us to be on our best behavior.

Q: Does your whole family go on vacation together?

A: The farthest we have gotten to vacation together was a family campout in my backyard this summer. We had multiple bonfires going on and at least seven tents.

Q: Does anyone ever compare your family to Cheaper by the Dozen?

A: I like having a big family because there is never a dull moment. When people hear I have twelve kids in my family, Cheaper by the Dozen is the first thing that comes to their mind, but it isn’t really like that. There are not people climbing out windows and wrecking people’s cars. We all like spending times together, talking and enjoying each other’s company. There are still crazy times though.