Appreciation leads to military service

Around this time of the year, people remind us to be thankful and remember those who spend their holidays in harm’s way.

Some may support the military more than others, but the least people can do is acknowledge those who serve and respect them for defending our freedom and lives, Tony Jucha, senior, said.

There are a total of 1,455,375 active personnel in the US military who work to defend our country, according to Find the Data Organization’s website. On average, two to three students decide to join the military each year, Ann Rosenquist, registrar, said.  Jucha not only admires these people who serve the country, but is one of the graduating students who plans on joining the military.

“I’ve wanted to be in the Air Force ever since I was a little kid,” Jucha said. “I am interested in computer technology and networking and want to be a cyber system operator, which involves hacking, coding, and making programs [to support the computer systems and ensure they operate properly and are secure from outside intrusion].”

With his brother in the navy and his dad in the army, Jucha said he grew up appreciating the respect shown to those who serve, but he made the decision join the military on his own.

“My family never pushed me into the idea, I just grew up learning to like the respect people have for those who serve, and I want to be a part of it,” Jucha said. “I have learned that the Air Force has the best living quality and job training for my interests.”

Scott Kerchburger, senior, also had a family member in the military, but decided he wanted to join the Marine Corps on his own.

“My mom was in the Air Force, but she retired before I was born,” Kerchburger said. “I grew up with some military ideals, but I want to be in the Marine Corps because I did research and read some books, and that was the branch that fit me the best.”

Kerchburger has applied to several colleges and wants to be a Marine Corps infantry officer, the officer of soldiers who fight on foot.

“I have applied to the Naval Academy, Westpoint Naval Academy, and the Naval ROTC (Reserve Officers Training Corps),” Kerchburger said. “I will serve for at least four years of active duty, but after that, I am not completely sure. I would love to be Major, but it’s difficult because infantry is the most popular field and has the most competition.”

Unlike Kerchburger, Jucha does not want to attend college and plans to go straight into the military. He has already joined the Air Force, and on July 15, he will go to its base camp in Texas to start training.

Growing up with family members in the military, Jucha has witnessed Americans’ appreciation of the military.

“I remember sometimes my dad and I would go out for pizza, and someone else would pay for our meal,” Jucha said. “Also I remember shopping at 7-Eleven and the person in line by us paid for our drinks. As a whole, I think Americans respect and appreciate those who serve for our freedom.”

Kerchburger said he also hears of acts of kindness and believes that Americans do show enough appreciation for those who serve.

“I always hear about acts of kindness on Facebook and hear of people greeting soldiers at the airport who are coming home,” Kerchburger said. “In general, I think people may not necessarily respect what the military is fighting for, but they respect the person and their dedication to our country.”I3_Jucha_juchadad