Law Club, ‘So much fun it shouldn’t be legal’

Law Club’s slogan is ‘So much fun, it shouldn’t be legal.’ It might sound like an exaggeration, but when an avid group of Criminal Minds and NCIS fans gather to eat donuts and debate current events every other Wednesday, it is no surprise the club has doubled in size since its launch five years ago.

“I joined Law Club my freshman year, the second year of the club, so I can attest it has undergone a major revolution,” Lauren McKee, senior and club president, said. “The club used to focus more on famous cases and legal intricacies. Now, we have ‘Donuts and Discussion.’ Every Wednesday, we focus on a current event and talk about it from a legal perspective. I think the new style makes the club a little more approachable for the average LZHS student interested in law, but not well versed in paragraph 3 section 4 of law 2032 or something.”

The club’s discussion topics have ranged from the legalization of marijuana after Colorado voted for its passage to students’ rights after the crackdown on the dress code to gun control after the Sandy Hook shooting.

“At our first meeting this year [which took place on September 11], we had a great discussion on the Patriot Act, NSA scandal, and privacy rights,” McKee said. We eventually ended up on the topic of the right of the school to intervene in matters that do not take place on school grounds, and how much privacy you are entitled to in the current age.”

Law Club meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays each month in D218 at 7:20am McKee and Michael Savio, senior, share the title of Co-President, and Carson Haegar, junior, holds the role of vice president. Megan Bajor is the club’s sponsor.

“Anyone is welcome to Law Club, whether you are interested in a job in the legal field, or just enjoy shows like Criminal Minds, NCIS, and Law and Order, you will be able to participate and have fun,” McKee said.