Backpacks cause back problems

We have all been there–trying to shove as many books and binders into our backpacks as we possibly can. Though the textbooks help in class, they can also hurt you physically.

Some classes require students to bring their textbooks every day, and there is no time in between classes to go drop off other books. If not worn properly, the heavy bags pull down on the back and shoulders, causing pain not only throughout the day but also chronically.

If left untreated, the [back and shoulder pains] becomes degenerative and can cause disc and bone problems, according to Dr. Randy Horning, chiropractor.

“[Heavy backpacks] destroy someone’s posture if they’re too heavy,” Horning said. “Your center of gravity shifts and then easy tasks all of the sudden become more difficult.”

The new school issued iPads help take the load off by replacing up to two textbooks, according to Isabel Young, sophomore. Even though the iPads are replacing those books, the increasing size of textbooks can take put the weight back onto student’s shoulders and backs.

Textbooks have been increasing in size over the past century, according to Jeff Bivin, Math department chair. Different states in the country cover different materials for each subject. In order to make a textbook more marketable, the company puts more information and explanation into the book to sell it to more districts.

It is the state’s responsibility to oversee education, and the lack of a common curriculum is straining out student’s backs and shoulders. The strain makes the muscles weaker and more susceptible to injury, especially when it comes to sports.

The heaviness of backpacks due put an athlete at a greater risk of getting injured, according to Andrew Guild, senior.

“The weight of backpacks should only be 15% of your bodyweight,” Horning said.

Teenagers often think nothing bad could happen to them. Little do they know is the thing saving them though out the day is also hurting them at night.