December Doomsday comes this 2012

It appears everyone from Mel Gibson to the Mayans think our winter break is doomed. That’s because the world is supposed to end Friday, December 21, 2012. 

Only time will tell if we survive or not.  But since we only had a week to live, Bear Facts thought we should find out what you would do before your time is up.  And if we wake up on Saturday morning, how will you survive Armageddon?

Bear Facts spoke to Isabelle Armbruster and Robert Witkowski to find out how they’re preparing for the end of the world.

How will it happen?

“[The movie] 2012, in my opinion, is ridiculous. If the world were going to end, at this point, I would think it would be human cause, like a nuclear war. That’s the sad thing,” Robert Witkowski, freshman, said.  “But economic crisis, or things like overpopulation or famine, those things couldn’t really happen right now, but I think those are things we can consider too [if the world were to end].”

Isabelle Armbruster, sophomore, also thinks the world is not going to end, but if it did, it would have a more astronomical reason.

“If it ended, [it would] probably like in Life as We Knew It (by Susan Beth Pfeffer), how the moon was hit off balance and got a lot closer to the earth, and there were all these natural disasters,” Armbruster said.

How will we survive?

Even if the world doesn’t end on Friday, Witkowski and Armbruster still have an idea of what they would do to survive in an apocalyptic world, like grabbing supplies, arming themselves with weapons, and finding safe shelter.

“I would probably round up some of my friends who would want to come with, grab as many non-perishable foods, weapons, and just like basic supplies as I can, and get out into the country to Ohio,” Armbruster said.  “There are less people there and people are one of your biggest enemies in the end of the world because they’re going to fight to survive. They’re not going to band together, obviously, so it’s going to be complete anarchy…”

Witkowski agrees, and thinks stocking up and avoiding people he does not trust would be best. 

“People would jump right to guns and other weapons, but I don’t think that’s really necessary,” Witkowski said.  

In the event of a zombie apocalypse, Witkowski said different measures should be taken. A zombie apocalypse is commonly known as a mass number of people becoming zombies, or flesh-eating living dead, and taking over the world. 

“[A zombie apocalypse] is a different story. I think the use of firearms might be necessary, depending on how serious the zombie threat is,” Witkowski said.  “That’d be sad if one of your loved ones was a zombie and you had to eliminate them.”

What supplies will we need?

If the world does end, stores are going to run out of supplies faster than Black Friday, according to Survive Any Disaster’s website.  In order to survive various types of apocalypses, different types of supplies are needed, so maybe you should think about getting these items instead of all those holiday presents you plan to buy. 

“Non-perishable food, canned food, things that couldn’t go bad.  No milk, but lots of water,” Witkowski said.  “To get all the nutrients and stuff, I’d probably buy some vitamins.  Maybe [fun things], like candy.  I guess I might want to enjoy myself before the world ends.  Probably lots of regular things too, like blankets and clothes; practical, material things.”

Along with non-perishable foods and water, Armbruster also thinks you need things to protect yourself.

“You’re probably going to want Tylenol and vitamins and stuff for your first aid kit,” Armbruster said.  “You’re going to want weapons and ammo. They depend on the type of apocalypse that happens; most likely you’re going to want long distance weapons so you don’t have to get close to people.”

What’s on your bucket list?

If the end of the world is certain, which means people only have four more days to left to live, so how would they fill those last few precious hours of life?

“I would try to do as many of the stereotypical things people want to do before they die like go skydiving or ride dolphins,” Armbruster said.  “I think skydiving would be fun.  I would say get married, but I think that’s illegal.”

Witkowski, unlike Armbruster, would not do anything too crazy.

“It sounds kind of cliché, but I would probably do things that I would not normally do.  I wouldn’t go skydiving, but I would do fun things.  I would probably talk to family and friends,” Witkowski said.  “I think [going crazy] would be unwise.  If people knew the world was going to be ending in a week, they’re going to go crazy, but I would try to keep levelheaded.”