An LZHS extracurricular goes extraterrestrial

How do you start a successful astronomy club? You planet!

Stephanie Henderson, senior, did just that to found the Astronomy Club, a new club at LZHS this year. Henderson got the idea of creating the Astronomy Club after her experience at summer school last summer.

“This summer I took astronomy in summer school, and the class was really cool,”Hendersonsaid. “Once I took the class, I got more interested in astronomy, and my summer school class came up with the idea of starting a club to talk about astronomy because we were upset the class was over.”

Donald Castans, science teacher, taught the summer school astronomy class for the first time last year and said he became more interested in astronomy as a result of teaching the class. Castans is the Astronomy Club sponsor and said he is excited to be involved in the start of a new club and looks forward to planning activities for the club to do.

“The club was really the students’ idea. I wanted to be the sponsor of the club because I am interested in astronomy and I wanted to get more involved in the school,” Castans said. “Some activities besides meetings that we are planning to do to learn more about astronomy are to take a trip to the planetarium, get together after school or on weekends to watch the sky, and, of course, design t-shirts.”

Joel Lima, junior, is glad Henderson founded the Astronomy Club this year.

“I’ve had a passion for astronomy ever since I was a kid. Some little kids always talk about wanting to be an astronaut, and I guess I never gave up on that,”Limasaid. “When I heard about the club, I was super excited and I knew I wanted to be a part of it.”

Astronomy Club meets on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month in S111 to discuss new ideas and discoveries in astronomy and to plan activities for the club. The club has already had its first meeting, but according toHenderson, new members are welcome to come to the next meeting and join the club.

“We have around 25 members, and we’re looking to get more kids involved,”Hendersonsaid. “People are welcome to join anytime.”

Castans encourages kids to get involved in Astronomy Club to learn about astronomy as well as to have fun and get involved in an extracurricular activity.

“If students want to talk about ideas bigger than themselves and are interested in space, the club is perfect for them,” Castans said. “Anyone is welcome to come and learn more about astronomy and have fun.”