Students remember 9/11

Every year in the last ten years, Americans take on a certain reverence and silence on 9/11 as they remember a tragedy for the history books: the terrorist attacks that brought down the New York World Trade Center and took many lives.

LZHS students are no exception to this demographic, as some take a moment to appreciate the fact that they will be a part of the last generation to remember the tragedy’s unfolding first hand.

“It’s a weird feeling being part of the last generation to remember that day in 2001,” Katie Creagh, senior, said, “and to know that I will be telling my kids about such a critical day in history.”

Creagh, who was in first grade at the time of the attacks in 2001, still remembers the reactions of her teachers and fellow students during the attack.

“That morning another teacher came into the room and whispered something to our teacher, and she turned on the TV,” Creagh said. “All I saw was that the planes had crashed into buildings in New York, but the older I got, the more I learned about how devastating it was and still is.”

Nikki Gabrione, sophomore, remembers her experience just as vividly as Creagh.

“I remember my parents sitting me down that night and trying to explain what had happened,” Gabrione said. “I was really afraid something was going to happen again, and I begged my dad not to go to work.”

Although nobody close to Creagh or Gabrione was directly affected by the tragedy, Creagh remembers stories of close calls.

“The dad of a classmate of mine [in first grade] had a flight booked on United 93, but ended up not taking the flight,” Creagh said. “It’s amazing, he was one of the lucky ones.”

Today, remembering 9/11 is extremely important to students like Creagh and Gabrione.

“Every year I set aside time to think about the victims and pray for their families,” Gabrione said.

The same is true for Creagh.

“It’s so important that the country acknowledges 9/11 with documentaries, moments of silence, even something as simple as the red white and blue theme at the LZ football game last week,” Creagh said. “Even though I’m part of the last people to remember that day, I know it will never be regarded as something less significant.”