Bear Facts Flashback: Relieve stress and improve flexibility

Bear+Facts+Flashback%3A+Relieve+stress+and+improve+flexibility+

Each week, Bear Facts will post an article from a past issue.  These articles can demonstrate what life was like for a high school student in that year.  What seemed important to them that seems commonplace now? This article ran in April 1996.

As third quarter has ended, I find that I am more irritable, run down, and utterly exhausted than I have been in the past. As a result I am in desperate need of a way to release all of my tension; a way to clear my mind and regain some of the energy I have lost. However, I have no idea what to do or where to go to do it.

My initial instinct was to tune into ESPN and take part in a good aerobic workouts I felt this would help get rid of the tension in my muscles and might give me much needed energy. I had also thought of going to a health club and joining a step class in order to release the stress that had accumulated over these past months. Nevertheless, I had planned to make exercise an active part of my weekly schedule and to pursue it on a long term basis. Unfortunately, I found that extensive exercise builds thick, tight and bulky muscles. So, in desperation to free my body and soul of all needless anxiety without physical strain or pressure, I decided to dive deep into the intriguing world of yoga.

Over the years, yoga has acquired a bad reputation. Many refer to it as a “spacy, seventy’s fad.” Although it became well known in the seventies, it is still prevalent today. Despite these rumors, yoga is actually a mind-relaxing and muscle-shaping form of exercise. Certain postures isolate and strengthen while others stretch them so they are more supple. Donna Davidge, a New York “City yoga instruction, says that some postures even massage certain glands and organs, and in turn, speed up the body’s metabolism. In addition, yoga is extremely beneficial for people of all ages. There is also a wide variety of places to go in order to take part in a yoga class. Most health clubs offer these classes as part of their regular program. However, one must first decide which form of yoga to participate in. There are several different forms that work different muscle groups.

One of these distinct schools of yoga is astanga. This is the most athletic and strengthening form. Another is hatha. This involves mostly stretching and gymnastics. Finally, kudalini is a form that focuses a lot on breathing and is a combination of the previous two. Each of these forms are excellent ways to shape one’s body while easing the mind. There are also a number of famous people who are turned into this uplifting experience. For example, Sting and Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers both practice kudalini. Courtney Cox and Woody Harrelson practice ashtanga. Nevertheless, the latest trend in yoga is riding a stationary bike and taking a yoga class at the same time. During these sessions, the teacher coaches breathing and relaxation and takes you on an “inner journey” while you peddle and increase your heart rate.

However, yoga is not all fun and games. It is a serious subject with incredible meaning. Yoga originated in India and was begun by monks more than six thousand years ago. The techniques and theories were handed down orally by a chain of teachers and student. The word yoga is derived from an ancient root word meaning “to unite.” It signifies the union of the conscious mind with the deeper levels of the unconscious mind, which results in an “integrated” personality. The goal that yoga teaches is to learn that satisfaction comes from something we find deep within, and does not rely on external stimulation.

There are eight “limbs” of yoga which provide the core of yogic philosophy:

Yama: abstention from evil.

Niyamas: observances.

Asanas: postures.

Pranayama: breath control.

Dharana: concentration.

Dhyana: meditation.

Pratyahara: sense withdrawal.

Samadhi: self-realization.

Many of these limbs describe rules of moral conduct that a yoga student must follow. It is helpful to set aside a specific time each day to work on yoga. Twenty minutes to half an hour is about the estimated time to successfully complete these postures. Each body form should be help for about three minutes. Make sure that the area you practice in is clean and spacious. Your clothes should be light and loose. Wait at least an hour after eating and try to avoid all distractions. Always consult a physician before starting these exercises if you have any kind of physical problems.

If you follow these simple guidelines you are guaranteed to see results in a matter of two weeks. Muscles will re-shape, tension and stress will disappear, flexibility will increase, and your overall appearance will be enhanced. Furthermore, Yoga will become a positive learning experience for anyone who is dedicated.