New faculty joins LZHS: Beth Longacre

New teachers mean new first impressions, and this year new special education teacher, Beth Longacre, is making a lasting impression on her students.

“I love it here at LZ,” Longacre said. “The academic community is much stronger and there’s more of a community feeling.”

Longacre was inspired to get into a teaching career by her husband, with whom she graduated from college. She received her degree in special education and this is her first year teaching special education students at LZHS.

“I was going to be a professional trainer, but I wasn’t fulfilled,” Longacre said. “When I started subbing, I knew this was what I wanted to do.”

Watching her students grow and graduate is rewarding to Longacre and an important part of her job.

“I like working with the students that have more difficulties because it is that much more fulfilling when they do succeed,” Longacre said.

When not at work educating her students, Longacre has three children of her own that she enjoys spending time with.

“We like to work out, go the movies, library, and ice skating,” Longacre said. “We have a 180 pound mastiff named Sasha and a mini schnauzer named Jordan.

Other than spending time with her family, in her life time, Longacre would like to visit the Seven Wonders of the World and has already visited Australia, Jamaica, Canada, Fuji, and the Bahamas.

“I used to live in Australia,” Longacre said. “I love to scuba dive, and I like hot weather.”

Over the years adventures have come Longacre’s way, but she seems to succeed in whatever the challenge may be.

“Sometimes high school isn’t just academic, you learn how to live in the world,” Longacre said. “You don’t need to memorize the formulas, but you need to know how to find them.”