Think outside the small town

If you believe it, you can achieve it: a statement that’s slightly cheesy, slightly inspirational, and very possible. That is, when you add hard work into the equation.

Lake Zurich is a small town filled with big dreams, many of which belong to students who aspire to make a name for themselves in the Fine Arts world. However, sometimes growing up in a small town can feel deriding, but it is important to remember is that it does not matter where one has been, what matters is where one is headed. Dreams do come true, even for people from Lake Zurich.

Jordan Service graduated Lake Zurich High School in 2010 and has since moved to Los Angeles to fulfill his dreams of being a designer. Service is now a sophomore at The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, one of the most prestigious design schools in California.

“It’s a dream come true,” Service said. “This is what I’ve always wanted to do. Going to school is not a chore for me; I’m excited to be here because I’m living in a place where everyone is as creative as me. I feel inspired every day, inspiration is constantly around me.”

Service credits his experience at Lake Zurich High School as an important stepping-stone on his path to where he is today.

“The most important thing I learned in high school was visualization gets you to where you want to be. You have to make goals and figure out how to get there, and constantly work towards them,” Service explained.

Jordan is not the only Lake Zurich graduate who is making his dreams come true. Another 2010 graduate, Demi Zaino, has also moved on from Lake Zurich to do what she loves. Having been in over ten Lake Zurich musicals, plays, and productions Zaino chose to major in musical theatre at Western Michigan University, although making these decisions have not always been so easy.

“It was difficult growing up and going to auditions all the time where there was so much talent and competition. There were a few times I thought that I wasn’t going to be able to do this,” Zaino confessed, “However, I stuck with it because I really couldn’t see myself doing anything else. This is what I’ve always wanted.”

Whether it’s fashion design, theatre, photography or any other area of study, art related or not, hard work, determination, and a positive outlook can help one be successful during and after high school.

“You can’t get too caught up in your fears,” said Luke Burke, a 2008 graduate, who now studies photography at Parson’s New School of Design in New York City. “If you are really passionate about something, and you want it, you have to work for it. You can’t expect things to just fall into your lap.”

Lisa Covelli, art teacher, grew up in Batavia, Illinois and understands exactly what it is like growing up in a small town. Covelli also had to push herself to find out what she loved and how to get there.

“When I first went to college I went to be a graphic designer, but being on the computers all day was a deal breaker for me. I have too much of a social personality,” Covelli said. “I needed to be around people, and so I majored in art. Teaching students is really the best thing in the world.”

Covelli had to go through a trial and error process to determine what she was truly passionate about in life, and Covelli now loves what she does. The small town that Covelli came from had nothing to do with it.

“It doesn’t matter where you are from, where you live doesn’t play a card in your journey to succeed. My best advice is to be real, stay real, and stay open to ideas,” Covelli said.

Service also agrees with Covelli on the importance of creativity.

“Think outside the box,” Service said, “yes you live in a small town, don’t just complain about it, use it to your advantage. Make a scene, it’s okay to stand out.”

With the numerous art resources available such as the dark room, materials, and facility space, Covelli is not surprised that “the talent is off the charts at LZHS”.

“Every year I am blown away,” Covelli admitted.

Every person who has ever been successful had to start somewhere, whether a big town, small town, city or farm, talent has no special origin or limitation.

“No matter what you do,” Service added, “even if you’re not creative, even in little Lake Zurich, there are things you can do to achieve your dreams.”