The power of music

Music has influenced LZHS students and faculty alike, such as concert choir classes. Nick Juknelis, director of vocal music, leads his concert class. Juknelis’s parents gave him his first piano, and he has been playing ever since. Juknelis says that music is a lot more important than people realize

“One good thing about music, is when it hits you, you feel no pain,” Bob Marley sang. While Marley makes a valid point, that is not the only great aspect of music.

Marley was an influential Jamaican singer who believed that music had the power to unite people, overcome oppression, and restore peace and love. Although those specific powers have not been proven, many other powers of music have.

The results of a healing program referenced on http://CNN.com confirms many of music’s powers. The article reports that playing music for post-cardiovascular surgery boosts patients’ moods, increases sleep, reduces pain and makes relaxing easier.

Another “good thing” about music is that it affects more than just the lives of medical patients.

“Without music, I would feel like something huge was missing from my life,” Parker Matzinger, senior, said.

Music is very important to Matzinger, who says his “life pretty much revolves around music.” Matzinger started playing percussion in the fifth grade, and now plays the drums for the LZHS marching band, jazz ensemble, jazz combo, orchestra concerts, choir concerts, and musicals. Matzinger also plays for the Peace Lutheran Church and is in his own band, With Time I Create, with Trent Adams, 2011 graduate.

“I really love playing in my own band and being able to be as creative as I want,” Matzinger said. “It calms me, relaxes me, and keeps me busy.”

Musicians are not the only ones who feel the power of music. Whether it is singing a song, playing an instrument or conducting a chorus, music has the ability to leave different impressions on people.

“Music is more powerful than people realize,” Nick Juknelis, director of vocal music, said. “If there was no music in the world, people who doubt music’s importance would really realize what an important role it plays in everyone’s life.”

Juknelis dove into the musical world when he began playing his first instrument, a mini keyboard given to him by his grandparents. For years after that, Juknelis begged his parents for a piano. Juknelis still remembers the exact day, February 14, 1994, when his parents finally gave in.

“No one ever had to tell me to practice the piano,” Juknelis said. “I played because I wanted to. Music can help you find a place to express yourself and reach emotions that you can’t when you are just speaking.”

One who also strongly feels the music’s impact is junior Erika Smolyar.

“Music is artsy and freeing,” Smolyar said. “No matter if you use your voice, play an instrument or a garbage can or a plastic bag, if it makes a sound, it can make music. Music is important because it is universal and everyone can relate to sound.”

In addition to taking voice lessons, Smolyar sings in the Concert Choir and Bare Voices, both conducted by Juknelis.

“I like singing because I need to put my energy out there,” Smolyar said. “What’s best is that when I’m having a bad day and choir comes along, my day gets instantly better. I always walk out of that class happier.”

The better sense of well being that Smolyar feels after singing and being surrounded by music is a scientifically proven benefit of music. Studies and experiments referenced on http://www.LiveScience.com report that music has been proven to ease pain, reduce stress, and improve brain function. With such strong capabilities, one may ask themselves: is music just music?

“Music can help you focus, it can motivate you, and it can help you get through things: there is music for everything,” Matzinger said. “Music is a medicine.”