Students should appreciate the classics

Words. They are little composites of letters that, when arranged by an author, hold power over emotions. An author causes his readers to weep, laugh, or be inspired simply by the flow of his pen.

But if you listen to the common complaints from students, the books English teachers assign are old, boring, or difficult to read, and these griping students would prefer something more “interesting.”

From The Fault in Our Stars to the Divergent series, a popular use of students’ money is to purchase books. While these modern texts are wonderful, the classics inspired many themes and characters used in contemporary novels. Students can relate to characters and situations from classic novels as well, and they should take advantage of this.

Courtney May, AP English teacher, argues that one will not understand modern works until one has read the classics.

“These books teach you to read closely and not to skip over words, and they create a good vocabulary,” May said. “They really established the way in which people told stories. They used archetypes, patterns and symbols, in order to create meaning. They established what we see as the plot line.”

Many modern authors repeat classical themes in their works. Classics offer a different view on the world that can improve the way students see situations and fellow individuals, which are essential life lessons all people must learn.

One can compare the world today to the world of 1930 in To Kill a Mockingbird, a story which notes carefully the racial prejudice in that time period. Shakespeare portrays the dangers of greed and over-ambition in his tragic play, Macbeth. Inherit the Wind encourages its readers to think for themselves.

These books provide lessons that people need to take advantage of. There are students who understand this and appreciate the beauty in an old novel. They might prefer reading a Gothic book published in 1818 because they can appreciate what one can gain from classics, whether inspiration or a life lesson. Classic novels give a greater depth of understanding concerning the books so loved today.

Classic literature has accomplished much more than developing the modern novel. One can also connect to its message on the deep, emotional level. Jennifer Schmitz, English teacher, noticed that by reading older stories, readers can see if humans have always dealt with the same issues faced today. Even though Schmitz is a contemporary literature teacher, she has a love for the classics.

“Since junior year, I’ve read The Great Gatsby almost every year of my life, and I get something different out of it every time,” Schmitz said. “You relate to different conflicts in it depending on where you are in your life.”

Juliana Stoner, sophomore, has enjoyed both older works such as The Hobbit, and newer books like the Harry Potter series. The only real differences between books are writing style, word choice, and of course time period, she said. Students should not overlook the classic novels or avoid reading them because they truly can be enjoyable.

Classic literature provides something that modern authors cannot. These novels, plays, or poems offer a view into the past, and let us see the world from the unavailable perspective of the past. They also prove something contemporary work has yet to show: the classics stand the test of time, and they display generations of appreciation.