Winter Guard makes it to state championships

The Winter Guard team will be competing in the Team Dance Illinois Grand Championships in Peoria this Sunday. The girls will be competing against several other teams to defend their 2013 title in the Open Flag division, and to also further improve on their second place win in the Winter Guard Show.

The girls are still continuing to further perfect their two performances for this upcoming Sunday.

“We’re feeling well-prepared, but there’s always that feeling that we need more practice as we get closer to and closer to Sunday,” Muñoz said. “We’re really excited to head back to state this year, the seniors especially because we have the chance to be the first LZHS class to place first at State four years in a row.”

There are three different categories for each dance team competing in the championships. For each category, there are first through third place awards.

“There is a lyrical category as well as the two that we perform in which are Open Flag and Winter Guard Show,” Gabby Muñoz, senior, said. “Winter Guard Show utilizes weapons [flags].”

To help congratulate the girls on making it to championships and to wish them good luck as they go to Peoria this weekend, there will be a State march at the end of second period on Friday.