Frigid weather, frightening roads

Due to a prolonged winter season, Lake Zurich roads are facing an increase in potholes and a decrease in overall driving conditions.

The polar vortex, which caused temperatures to vary greatly on a day-by-day basis and large amounts of snowfall and ice, has caused the “pothole season” to come early. Although road conditions are worsening into the late winter months, workers have been working all winter to temporarily maintain craters and cracks in the roads, according to Mike Brown, LZ public works manager.

“Temporary patching by the village is done throughout the year. However, because of cold winter temperatures, village workers typically only permanently patch roads between April and November,” Brown said.

Throughout the summer months, workers will apply an asphalt mix that will level the roads and the damaged sections will become almost unnoticeable. Until weather conditions become dry and warm, workers can only apply a temporary mix that adds gravel in an effort to even out the roads.

This winter has experienced bitter cold weather and multiple freeze-thaw cycles, which has accelerated the process of potholes forming. Because of this, the village has seen an increase in complaints and pothole reports, according to Brown.

“We usually start receiving [pothole] reports in January or February. This year we started getting them in early December,” Brown said. “Last year was such a mild winter, so the potholes didn’t really have a chance to form.”

Although potholes can form as early as October, they are typically common in the late winter and early spring months as the snow and ice begins to melt. The weakened soil beneath the pavement and the tension of high traffic areas causes the asphalt to slowly crack away and deteriorate, according to the Village of Lake Zurich’s website.

Additionally, at the beginning of the winter season, moisture begins to collect in cracks in the asphalt. When temperatures begin to dip below freezing, a condition common with a polar vortex, the moisture freezes and begins to expand, causing the roads to buckle and crumble under the pressure.

Potholes can typically be a difficult thing to avoid while driving, which leads to unavoidable car damage. Drivers can experience tire damage, flat tires, bent wheel rims, vibrations in the steering wheel, structural suspension problems, steering misalignment, exhaust system damage, and even engine damage, according to Firestone’s website.

Currently, the village is taking reports of large potholes and poor road conditions in order to repair as many as possible. If you know of a pothole to report, visit the village of Lake Zurich’s website. genna in car 2 (Medium)