iPads replace textbooks, Friday class

One of the Honors Consumer Education classes will be shortening their weekly Early Bird class schedule for the first semester this school year.

Early Bird classes are an additional class offered to seniors that occur before school. However, this semester, Honors Consumer Ed.’s Early Bird class will only be held before school on Monday through Thursday. Despite having four days of class, the students will still be given five days’ worth of work.

“The class is piloting a program that allows students to not attend class on Friday morning and accomplish their work when they choose, within the school day or outside of the regular school day. [It’s going to allow] students to be more creative with their individual schedules,” Darren Rothermel, business education teacher, said.

The additional time gained from the free Friday morning every week will offer students more time to get their homework done and also more time to sleep in. Teens often don’t get enough sleep throughout the school year which results in a lack of focus or decline in extra-curricular activities, according to an article in the New York Times.

“I’m looking forward to the extra time in the morning because then I get a day a week to sleep in later,” Timmy McCullough, senior in Early Bird Consumer Education, said. “Plus, the free Friday morning is the only way I could be both in the class and NHS [National Honors Society].”

Often times, school clubs and groups meet before school. Early Bird classes can interfere with before school meetings, which causes students to avoid getting involved. Not having class on Friday allows students to attend more meetings for clubs such as NHS, which meets on Friday before school.

Honors Consumer Ed. is the first class to change their Early Bird schedule to allow for a free day, but other classes might be soon to follow if this program goes well.

“Business teachers have been writing new curriculum to appeal to students’ needs. Many students will be faced with online classes in college. The blended learning concept [working both in class and online] is a change from the traditional structure of education,” Rothermel said.

Students often debate whether or not to take an Early Bird class, but it’s beneficial in the long run, according to Rothermel.

“The main challenge [for students] is arriving on time, especially in the winter when it’s still dark outside when class begins. My hope is for students to develop the passion of financial literacy,” Rothermel said. “All students are capable of doing well in an Early Bird setting.”DSCN1490 (Medium)