Black Violin, inspiring the world

Danna Tabachnik, digital director

Violins and Violas definitely don’t normally correspond Hip Hop and R&B. Unless you’re classically trained musicians who are fans of both genres.

Black Violin, however, is breaking that mold.

Black Violin is a a group made up of two classically trained string instrumentalists, who go by the names of Wil B and Kev Marcus. They use their classical training to create music that appeals to everyone from classical to Hip Hop fans.

Their music relies heavily on the strings, but that doesn’t take away from everything else going on in the songs. The drums keep a strong beat, and their voices, although not anything extraordinary, not only entertain, but inspire.

Unlike a lot of crossover concepts, this one never sounds like an arranged marriage. The classical material, while clearly secondary to the hip-hop, becomes fully integrated, and beautifully subsumed,” Peter Dobrin, Inquirer Classical Music Critic, wrote in his article for http://www.philly.com.

Although not a household name, Black Violin uses their platform to bring awarness. Their song “Stereotype” focuses on the stereotype and stigma around African American people. The song defines stereotype in multiple languages, as well as have someone explain their feelings toward their stereotype.

The song opens people’s eyes to the feelings that a black man has when he feels people’s eyes on him. It creates an understanding of what black people have to go through on a daily basis. The song is incredibly powerful, just like the rest of their music.

The rest of their songs are along the same lines, a heavy focus on the strings, with drums and a hint of guitar keeping the beat. Their vocals may not be the best, but that doesn’t take away from the message they are pushing- a message of acceptance and equality.

If you don’t already, you should definitely listen to Black Violin. Not only is their music one of a kind, but it will bring out an emotion or feeling that you’ve never experienced before. This group really is phenomenal and is really changing the music world.

Danna Tabachnik, Digital Editor-In-Chief

This is Danna's (pronounced Donna, not Dana) third year on staff and fourth year involved in the journalism program. She's on the Varsity Tennis team...