3 sports, 12 seasons, 1 player

Back to Article
Back to Article

3 sports, 12 seasons, 1 player

Meggie Furlong, staff writer

Marin Allgood, senior, is a rarity. In the past four years, Allgood has spent approximately 9 months or 940 days or 1,880 hours playing either volleyball, basketball, or softball, since her freshman year.

“I can’t pick a favorite. Whatever sport I’m in, I focus on [that sport]. Sometimes volleyball season goes into basketball season, and I neglect [basketball] a little bit. Not because I want to,” Allgood said.

Even though Allgood cannot pick a favorite sport, she does have a favorite moment from being on a team.

“It would have to be freshman year basketball. We were at Maine West [and the gym] had dividers that split the courts. Coach Profitt says ‘girls, be careful that you don’t trip over the ledge’ and I say ‘thank god someone told me, I would have tripped!’,” Allgood said. “Then my friend Melissa tripped and fell in front of the whole boys varsity team!”

While it can be fun having the different teams, experiences, and friends made from sports, being a three sport athlete does come without its set of challenges, according to Tom Reagan, assistant athletic director. It involves a lot of organization and time management.

“I think it’s hard because there are a lot more students that are playing club sports,” Reagan said. “[There are] a lot more students specializing, and there’s a lot of pressure on them to succeed, and to play at the next level, and they feel that it is in their best interest to specialize in one sport.”

Allgood’s time is spread thin during every season, between sports and her school assignments.

“I just try to focus my time. I don’t have enough time for [clubs or other extracurricular activities],” Allgood said. “Every single minute counts. I use my study hall to catch up from the homework I didn’t get to the night before. Sometimes I skip lunch or get up early to finish my homework.”

Keeping up with schoolwork is not the only challenge these unique athletes face. Having no off-season can poorly affect the body physically, according to Reagan.

Comparatively, Reagan also adds that there are benefits of being a three sport athlete.

“We want to see kids doing multiple sports. It’s not good to do the same thing all year round,” Regan said. “It’s not good for the body. It is good to do other types of exercises. Every sport does different movements, and I think it makes for a better, well rounded athlete.”

Meggie Furlong, Web Editor-in-Chief

As a senior, Meggie is the Web Editor-in-Chief of Bear Facts Student Media. Previously, she was the Social Media Manager in charge of the staff Twitter...