Little Red: fun, unique, and meaningful

Smooth, relaxing, yet invigorating, Katy B’s new album, Little Red, is a wonderful combination of electronic beats, house music, and a hint of R&B.

Kathleen Anne Brien, Katy B, is a British singer/songwriter who attended the BRIT School (a British school for art and technology), the same school as famous artists like Adele and Jessie J. There, she learned more about herself and her musical identity.

“A lot of my music is inspired by club music and club culture and lots of genres from house to garage, dubstep, drum and bass. I love to dance, dancing is such a big part of my life,” Katy B said in an interview with BBC Breakfast.

Little Red is a prime example of her experimentation with different genres of music. Each song has a distinctly different sound and personality. Her voice compliments the synthetic beats, as if the two were made for each other.

“Crying for No Reason” sticks out from the album because it is much slower and soulful than the rest of the album. Nonetheless, it is still a catchy song worth listening to.

“I got the inspiration for this song from a conversation I had with my friend. She was driving the car and she just started crying just for no reason at all. And then she realized it was because she and her boyfriend had split up six months before that and she hadn’t come to deal with any of the emotions or gone through any process; she just kind of bottled it all up, hadn’t spoken about it,” Katy B said in an interview with BBC Breakfast. “So, when I heard her speak about that, I automatically related to her. Sometimes in life we’ve got all these issues, but we don’t really speak about them, so I really felt like I wanted to write about that.”

If you like artists like Ellie Goulding who experiment with electronica, Katy B is definitely worth checking out.