Photo by and used with permission of Matthew Shaw

Shaw’s basket of knitting supplies. He plans to continuing knitting once quarantine ends.

Knitting creative

I’ve wanted to [learn to knit] because I’ve always had an interest in creating things. When I found out about knitting I thought that it was going to be a tough skill to learn, but then I talked to some people and they [helped me learn],” Matthew Shaw, sophomore, said.

Shaw, sophomore, was planning on taking up knitting over the summer, but “then we got stuck in quarantine,” Shaw said. He learned the basics from a friend, and thought it would be fun to try.

“That day I went home and immediately started to watch videos on how to knit, and the next thing I knew I had succeeded,” Shaw said.

Knitting was difficult at first, according to Shaw, but gradually became easier as he progressed. With more practice, Shaw has learned to make things such as scarfs and other practice pieces. 

“My favorite thing about knitting is watching the piece grow,” Shaw said. “I mainly use [the things I make], but I would like to start making [things] for charities.”

Bear Facts • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in