Ready to take the road

December 13, 2019

Getting behind the wheel for the first time can be pretty scary for most new drivers. High school is a place for all levels of drivers. No matter what level of driver you are at, there is one thing that all of these drivers have in common: the experience of getting behind the wheel for the first time.

Zach+Dayton%2C+senior+is+about+to+drive+away+in+his+car.+He+has+had+his+license+for+over+a+year+and+a+half+and+he+now+drives+himself+everywhere.+

Photo by Photo by Sasha Kek

Zach Dayton, senior is about to drive away in his car. He has had his license for over a year and a half and he now drives himself everywhere.

Experienced driver has the freedom

While driving is a great opportunity for freedom and independence, many students find themselves scared to drive for the first time. Even Zach Dayton, senior, who has had his license for over a year and a half, remembers being nervous to drive for the first time.

“The first time I drove by myself I was nervous because that was the first time I was in a moving car by myself. Although it was really cool that I had all that freedom,” Dayton said.

When Dayton first got his license he had to share a car with his parents, which caused some difficulty. But that has now changed since they bought him his own car. This allowed him to have more freedom because he didn’t have to ask his parents to borrow the car.

Since having his license for over a year and a half, Dayton now drives himself everywhere, including to school and from school. Although he was nervous to begin driving, he enjoys being able to drive his friends around.

“Your parents can set curfews, but you can still drive wherever and whenever you want once you have your license,” Dayton said. “And once you have it over a year, you can drive more than one person, so you can bring whoever.”

Because of Dayton’s experience, he also shared a piece of advice for any new drivers who may be scared to begin driving: “You have to be confident because if you hesitate when you are driving, you’re probably going to crash.”