Key to Happiness: how one senior uses his creativity to excel in music

August 26, 2017

“The moment he wakes up until the moment he goes to bed, he’s cheerful, he’s polite, and he’s just happy,” said Renee Holbrook, mother of singer, actor, musician, and senior, Nathan Holbrook.

Although Nathan plays saxophone, bassoon, and piano, his true passion is singing. His choral journey began in the fourth grade choir at Sarah Adams Elementary.

“[In the beginning, I sang] whatever my sisters were listening to, which, at the time, was Hannah Montana and country Taylor Swift,” Nathan said. “I love musical theater [music], but I also love just straight up choir music [now].”

As he grew up, Nathan became more involved in choir and musical theater. His first role in a production was Zeke in The Wizard of Oz, but he soon earned the lead role of Charlie Brown in the musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.

“I was nervous because he had never done solos before, but then I was so amazed when I went to hear him practice because I couldn’t believe he was up there, signing, by himself without any help,” Renee said. “ Singing wise, that was when [I realized his talent].”

Through theater and choir, Nathan has made friends, furthered his musical ability, and  learned life lessons. One of the friends made through the music program is fellow singer, actor, choir spirit leader, and senior, Megan Lane.

“[We met] Freshman year at band camp. Nathan did not like me! (“She was on color guard and my three older sisters always told me not to talk to people on guard!” Nathan adds). I just thought he was nice!” Lane said.

In addition to being a spirit leader in the choir, Nathan was also named a part of the Illinois Music Education Association (IMEA) All-State Choir; which earned him a spot on the Lake Zurich Music Hall of Fame.

“IMEA can be a really stressful experience for many people,” Holbrook said. “I’m one of those people who doesn’t get nervous until I’m sitting there or standing there about to [sing or play] it, at the point of no return, or when there’s no backing out of it.”

Nathan is not the only one who does not feel nervous when he performs.

“I just get teary-eyed. I’m so proud of him. I don’t get nervous for him. I know he’s going to do a great job,” Renee said. “I also just love [the] fact that he enjoys it so much. He has a smile on his face, and I love music so I love the music that is created, whether it’s through band or choir; I love listening to the performance, but I wouldn’t say I get nervous at all, or anxious. Both choir and band prepare him so well that I don’t feel like he goes in there set up to make a mistake or anything.”

Nathan attributes his musical talent to his mother, who plays piano and sang in her high school choir.

“I’m most creative when I’m really tired. I definitely get this from my mother, because late at night she’ll be singing, but will be really tired and make up words. They usually end up working and rhyming because she’s so tired,” Nathan said.

The musical ability that Nathan and his mother share is also present in all three of his sisters, who each play various instruments.   

“My father is the only one who isn’t very musical,” Nathan said. “He jokes that he can play the radio, as dad joke as that could be.”