Students gather in the Learning and Innovation Hub for office hours. As a quieter space, the Hub gives students a good environment for studying and homework.
Photo by Tessa Fabsik

Cracking down on Hub policies

The Learning and Innovation Hub has faced some changes this year including implementation of new policy, staff, and technology.  

Although these policies were originally created in the middle of last year they are being more enforced this year. One of the most noticeable of these new policies is the implementation of maintaining the hub as a quieter space in the school. Michelle Emerick, Learning and Innovation Specialist, says that having a lower volume in the hub is crucial to providing students a good learning environment.

“I think students appreciate coming into a space that is quieter and there’s not really another space [like] that in the school,” Emerick said. “The other open areas tend to be more loud collaborative spaces.”

Some students seem to be responding positively to the changes. Lillian Short, junior, says she approves of the new policy.

“I think the hub being enforced as a quiet place is helpful in creating a peaceful and productive environment for learning. The quiet allows me and my peers to be able to focus and put forth our best effort on school work,” Short said.  

Another policy that is being enforced in the hub is the “no food and drink policy.” This policy, according to Emerick, was implemented by the administration in order to prevent stains from spills. 

The hub, however, is more than a quiet, food free space. It is home to several pieces of cutting-edge technology as well as other helpful resources. 

“There are lots of books to discover,” Emerick said. “There are a lot of new Makerspace items to build things like robots. We have tools and other materials to build things. We also have [a] 3D printer and a new laser cutter/etcher that we don’t have up running yet.” 

Emerick says although a lot of the building materials are intended for students in incubator and engineering classes, they are available for all students. Overall, Emerick says the hub’s main purpose is to help students in all facets of their life. 

“My goal is to have students come in and work together on things and to be able to be creative with what they want to do,” Emerick said. “[I hope they can] work toward a goal for a class or for their future.”