LZ students in blackout at football game against Zion-Benton. All grade levels collectively dressing up for theme days together helps support school theme of unity. (Photo by Photo used with permission of Will Madsen. )
LZ students in blackout at football game against Zion-Benton. All grade levels collectively dressing up for theme days together helps support school theme of unity.

Photo by Photo used with permission of Will Madsen.

Unifying LZ

clubs and sports leaders collaborate to support new school theme

October 18, 2017

“Overall, we want people to understand that we are not a totally new school, we are just revising how we’re doing things,” Will Snyder, senior president of Student Council, said.

Collaborating with all school officers and team captains within the school to discuss how they can better achieve unity and gaining feedback was essential to see if Student Council activities are supported by the student body and if not, where they can improve.

“One of the biggest complaint Student Council has received over the past few years is no one feels they are supported or connected in our school, so I think how we achieved unity so far is that we have started the conversation of what we can do,” Snyder said. “I think something as little as the assembly in the beginning of the year was a huge deal, considering freshmen weren’t as welcome in the beginning of past years.”

Having a leadership position gives the ability to work with  people in a different roles and has given him a different perspective of how the school can be improved, Snyder said. In the first meeting, Snyder was able to see clubs that did not feel supported in the school learn how Student Council will help unite everyone.

“I think that it is really important that all our clubs communicate and we’re all on the same page, because we all have similar goals for what we want in this school, but a lot of times we need help from other clubs to make that happen.”Will Madsen, senior leader of Student Section club, vice president of Student Council, Marching Band squad leader, said. “So if one club can reach out and help another club, we can reach higher goals of unity when we’re going to help each other out and have these meetings.”

Nothing is really changing, they are just bettering our school, Madsen said, there are things that need to be improved with unity in the school that can happen when the leaders of sports and clubs work together to share ideas and support each other.

“It wasn’t just last year when things kind of fell apart,” Snyder said. “It was years before when I realized some clubs didn’t get their communications out, some [students] don’t even know [these clubs] exist.”