Photo by Addison Cundiff

Flipping into the future

The buzz of the crowd and nerves on end; Angela Burk, senior, remembers her International High School Association (IHSA) gymnastics meet vividly.

“[I’ll remember] the memories [the most because the team was] all there and […] everybody [was] happy,” Burk said. 

After much dedication and practice, Burk qualified for IHSA gymnastics her junior year on the uneven bars. Since competing at IHSA, she has been less anxious about meets and has become one of LZHS’ gymnastics team’s captains. 

“There’s […] pressure [when] you’re a team captain,” Burk said. “But gymnastics is such a tight sport that […] everybody’s really friends with everybody.”

Over the years, those closest to Burk have seen her confidence increase. Molly Braskich, senior, and Burk’s teammate on the Track and Field team has been able to see Burk grow as a person.

“She’s really grown into her confidence throughout high school,” Braskich said. “It’s been really cool to see her improve [as a teammate and] as a friend.”

Kristen LaJeunesse, art and design teacher, has noticed how Burk has been able to emotionally connect with her peers throughout high school after teaching her in various ceramics and studio art classes since her freshman year. 

“[Burk] seems to truly have something in common and get along with everyone in her class,” LaJeunesse said.

Burk has made an impact on her peers from her extracurriculars, to her classes at LZHS. While she is going to miss her high school memories, Burk is excited to start a new chapter of in her life.

“[I’m going to miss] my friends [the most],” Burk said. “Each year, the team comes together [and] we work well together. [So, I will miss] that feeling of knowing people so well.”

Bear Facts • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in