Photo by Siddhanth Talukder

Finding her true identity in a foreign country

How a senior’s path of being an immigrant and her experiences have led her to try and make an impact on others in a similar situation.

Being an immigrant comes with its own challenges and barriers. That was especially true for senior Alice Draghici. who moved to the US from Romania a few weeks prior to the beginning of her freshman year of high school.

“When I [first] came here I didn’t speak any English and I couldn’t understand anything so it was really hard for me. The most difficult thing was that I couldn’t communicate with anybody,” Draghici said. “Although I had [a] great teacher that was there for me everyday and tried to help me, the first year was hard, but with time I started getting used to it here.”

At first Alice described herself as a shy and quiet girl from a foreign country, but as time passed, she began getting used to the language and culture here, saying she eventually blossomed into the person she is today and showcasing her true colors.

“When Alice first came here she was terrified – she was scared, she was sad, she had left everything that she knew and she left all of her friends behind. Since day one I could see that she was a kind, sweet girl,” Annette . Shaffer, Alice’s teacher, said. “Her journey has been a tough one. Over the years, though, she has turned into the kind, beautiful, caring and funny person she is today. She definitely makes me laugh everyday and she’s grown quite a bit.”

Draghici is now using a variety of social media platforms like TikTok, Instagram, Youtube and more. Being a creator is one of her passions and is something that she likes to do in her free time. “I’m just working on my own brand right now and currently [social media] is just a passion,” Draghici said, “In the future I want to help people and eventually do speeches to try and help people in different ways.” 

As an immigrant, Draghici says she experienced the hardships of being new and not fitting in with everybody else. That’s what led her to making sure she was there for people going through a similar situation as her. 

“Alice was always very inclusive. She understood what it was like not to know anybody, the struggles, so she would always reach out or search out people that maybe needed help or to be included.” Shaffer said. 

Although Alice’s highschool journey was nothing like the typical one, she had learnt a few things. “What I learnt was anything you want to learn is possible. Nothing is impossible to learn or do, it’s just in your mind. So I think anything that you put your mind to, you can just do it.”

Bear Facts • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in