Katie+and+Madelyn+Zolneirek%2C+seniors%2C+prepare+for+the+next+year+apart.+%E2%80%9CWhen+I+was+younger%2C+part+of+me+was+like%2C+shaping+my+personality+off+of+being+different+from+%5BKatie%5D+so+we+could+be+different%2C%E2%80%9D+Madelyn+said.+%E2%80%9CBut+now+looking+back%2C+not+seeing+Katie+everyday+is+going+to+be+the+hardest+part+about+leaving.%E2%80%9D+

Photo by Max Feldman

Katie and Madelyn Zolneirek, seniors, prepare for the next year apart. “When I was younger, part of me was like, shaping my personality off of being different from [Katie] so we could be different,” Madelyn said. “But now looking back, not seeing Katie everyday is going to be the hardest part about leaving.”

A friend for life

As these twins prepare to part from one another, they reflect on a life-long bond.

Seen as two parts to a wholein the same sports, extracurriculars, most classes, clubs, and much more –  twins Katie and Madelyn Zolneirek have been with each other their entire lives, and will soon begin to discover themselves- without the other person.

The Zolneirek twins will be attending separate colleges in different states, studying for different degrees, and will have a completely different experience than the other. Katie will be attending the University of Minnesota for biochemistry, and Madelyn is attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln for elementary education. While many see them as twins before anything else, Katie and Madelyn Zolneirek have their differences. 

“[Madelyn] is more extrovertedand I’m not an introvert, by any meansbut I definitely value time by myself more than [Madelyn] does,” Katie said. “Being a twin has definitely shaped part of my personality too though.” 

Madelyn agrees. 

“If I wasn’t a twin, I would be different, not completely different but parts of me would be different,” Madelyn said. “I’m excited to discover myself without [Katie] and separate from her, not in a bad way. [We’ve] always been perceived as Katie and Madelyn, and it’s gonna be cool to have us be seen as separate. [It’s] sad, but it’ll be good,” Madelyn said.

While many just know Katie and Madelyn as a pair, senior Michael Zaucha, and friend to the twins since second grade, has seen the twins become their own person.

“Madelyn, I would say, is more than just happy-go-lucky. She’s silly, she’s always laughing, she has a very bright personality, a contagious smile, everybody knows her,” Zaucha said. “Katie is very dependable, she’s very dedicated to herself, recently she’s been much more confident and it’s cool to see her become more of her own person as well,”

Zaucha also says that the bond between the girls will only grow stronger.

“No matter where they go or what distance they’ll have between them they’ll always have that strong connection,” said Zaucha. 

While the two say they are excited to start a new chapter in their lives, Katie and Madelyn also share what they believe will be the hardest part about being away from each other. 

“When I was younger, part of me was like, shaping my personality off of being different from [Katie] so we could be different human beings and different people, and not the same exact people, and we fought a lot,” Madelyn said. “But now looking back, not seeing Katie every day is going to be the hardest part about leaving.” 

As both girls prepare for college, Katie and Madelyn chose to give a few words of encouragement to each other.

“[To Madelyn], I think you will do great on your own, and I’m excited to see what happens when you come back and we will be. I would say to keep in contact and just update each other on our days and everything like that. [It’ll] definitely be a lot different and kind of sad at first, because we’re not with each other all the time, but you are made for this. Everybody is going to be so excited to meet you and I’m lucky to have you,” said Katie.

Madelyn replied to her sister.

“[To Katie], I’m excited to hear about all your friends and everything that goes on, I’d love to hear about that. You’re gonna find your people so fast, and you’re gonna thrive in school, but I will miss you more than anything,” said Madelyn.

Despite their differences, similarities, shared interests or the distance that will be between them next fall, the twins know that they both have a friend for life.

Bear Facts • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in