Need a good read?

Students read so many books in class, analyzing and discussing them to the point of exhaustion, that they can forget that reading can be interesting and even enjoyable. In the past months alone, several books have been released that are both exciting and worth reading in between school novels and plays.

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card (5 out of 5 stars)

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card, while not a new book, recently regained popularity due to the new movie. The book itself was published in 1985, but is still very relevant and interesting today.

The book follows the story of a young boy named Ender in a futuristic world where Earth is at war with a species called “Buggers” and the children of Earth begin army training at a very young age, which uses simulations to train its soldiers, to the point where the line between simulation and reality becomes blurred.

The author’s use of perception and aggression to criticize the militaristic society present in the novel is very well carried out and adds to the depth of both the characters and the plot. For readers not looking to analyze the novel, the plot is exciting and filled with twists to keep readers engaged until the very end.

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen (4 out of 5 stars)

In this retelling of Robin Hood, Robin Hood’s right hand man, is, well, not a man. Scarlet is a young woman posing as a boy among Hood’s band of thieves in order to hide from her past. Once you adjust to the lack of grammatical correctness in the book, the fast pace, engaging plot, and emotional depth will keep readers turning the page right up until the end.

Scarlet’s character is both inspiring and realistic enough to be relatable at the same time. Despite her surroundings and past, Scarlet fights to stay true to herself, something many high schoolers can relate to, if not entirely in the same context. Scarlet is a wildly exciting retelling of a classic tale and will be enjoyable for readers of all ages and genders.

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West (4 out of 5 stars)

The Distance Between Us focuses on the story of Caymen Meyers, a senior girl trying to figure out her future while juggling her responsibilities with the family business, until Xander Spence walks into her life.

The Distance Between Us successfully captures the lost feeling of trying to figure out your future after high school as well as providing both deep and well developed characters to support the plot. While the plot itself is not entirely ground breaking, it is endearing and heartwarming.

Many teenagers will find themselves relating to both Caymen and Xander, despite their very different backgrounds. Both characters are struggling to figure out their futures and who they are apart from their families, as both feel pressured to follow a path.

Overall the book is a good read for anyone wanting to take a break from serious thinking and life in general and enjoy a book with a solid plot and a happy ending.

Two Lies and a Spy by Kat Carlton (3 out of 5 stars)

Two Lies and a Spy follows the story of Kari and her genius younger brother as they go on the run to prove their parents’ innocence. The book is well written with a great plot and well developed main characters, even if some of the minor characters are a little shallow.

Kari’s loyalty is both moving and slightly annoying as the book progresses and the line between being true to your family and simply naive begins to blur and doubts begin to creep in as to who she can trust.

For those who enjoyed books like the Gallagher Girls series and the Princess Diaries this will be an entertaining and exciting read.

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey (2 out of 5 stars)

The Fifth Wave is based in post-alien invasion earth where those who have survived are no longer considered the lucky ones and being alone is being alive. Cassie, the books main character, spends her life running from the aliens, as they arrive wave after wave. When Cassie’s brother is captured, she must rely on a stranger to help her rescue her brother, even though trusting someone else could mean her own death.

Unfortunately, while the premise of the book had so much potential, the actual story fell short of my expectations. Cassie’s character is not very well developed, and too immature and whiny for readers to sympathize or connect with.