Coping: a look into how teenagers cope using music

During times of feeling misunderstood, students turn to music as a way to escape the troubles of the world, to forget the bad, to become aware of what is important, and to give them strength for a better tomorrow.

“For some people, music is a very healthy, soothing and comfortable way to express emotions. Whether you have a great appreciation for it or create your own, music can be an effective tool for managing and coping with grief,” Caroline Robboy, founder and social worker at Center for Growth in Philadelphia, said in a self-help article.

One student ran into grief during her high school years. She found an outlet when upset and alone, which was listening to music.

“When I’m really sad I’ll listen to music, it really helps me cope. Sometimes you just got to cry it out, so that’s what I usually do,” Hayley Herriges, senior said.

Music really helped Herriges through her toughest times, especially sophomore through junior year.

“Sophomore through junior year I had some break ups, I also moved houses, and had a  really rough time getting along with the kids, and music just really helped me get through those difficult times and carry me away and take me to my happy place,” Herriges said.

For another student when anger got the best of him, he took time to himself and jammed out to bring his temper down.

“When I listen to music, I just calm down. If I’m mad, it makes me think, and it relaxes me so I don’t make any irrational decisions. If you’re mad, and you don’t know what to do, just listen to music.” Kyle Jones, sophomore, said.

According to the book Your Playlist Can Change Your Life, music triggers the brain’s dopamine, the body’s natural feel good hormone and helps one gain better and longer states of relaxation.

“Music helps reprogram our brains because the right songs can pair pleasure (dopamine release),” the book said.

Typical daily stresses that could occur during the day such as parents fighting, teachers becoming unfair, or mass amounts  of homework can cause the brain to be fixed on an over thinking state. The brain can change patterns of anxiety to a mind set with more relaxation using music to create this change to help you deal with troubling situations better and to help cope with grief and regrets.