Don’t bring home One Direction’s new album

The screaming of teenage girls all across America could be heard when One Direction’s new album, Take Me Home, was released on November 13.

One Direction’s sophomore album delivers listeners the same catchy lyrics and melodies the band is known for, but with lyrics that show how much the group has grown up since the release of their first album, Up All Night.

The album relies heavily on romantic invitations made by the group like “I want to be your last first kiss” and “I’m in love with you and all these little things.” Yet some of these lines veer off and become directed at an older audience, such as “tonight let’s get some” or “I want to be the first to take it all the way.”

The album’s lyrics greatly reflect a change in the motives of the five boys.  A reporter from the Huffington Post describes the lyrics from the album as lines from “a teenage boy who says all the right words in a rush to get what he wants.”

Take Me Home is full of both perky and melancholic guitar riffs that have not been heard since the boy bands of the 1990s. But unlike the generations of chart-topping boy bands before them, One Direction seems to ignore many influences of modern day music, such as R&B or dubstep breakdowns.

Take Me Home was produced by many of the same people from One Direction’s debut album, such as Rami Yacoub, Carl Falk, and Savan Kotecha. English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran also returns on the new album, co-writing two ballads, “Little Things and Over Again”, which is ironic considering Ed Sheeran is very much the musical opposite of the young boy band.

One Direction has definitely become part of young girls’ hearts across America, but the band has also taken a nice place in their wallets. Take Me Home will most likely be a huge music seller during the holiday season. Yet overall, the album leaves young listeners a confused outlook on the band’s intentions.

It will be interesting to watch the band continue to grow and adapt their style as musicians, while their audience grows older as well.