The All-American Rejects experiment with different sounds

The All-American Rejects (AAR) have certainly done it all. From slow songs to pop music, the band has not rejected any new beats to kick it up a notch. Their new album, Kids in the Street, is another mish-mosh experimentation with new sounds to mix up the tracks.

After over 14 years of making music, their newest and fourth album, was released on March 27. It is very different than all the ones that have come before it. Kids in the Street has more of a mix of songs with different beats, electronic sounds and tempos. The album’s most advertised song was “Beekeeper’s Daughter,” then “Kids in the Street.”

Promotion for the album started with the first track, “Someday’s Gone.” The song reminds listeners of songs from AAR’s second album, Move Along. It’s an angsty song about a flirty girl that led the singer on. She does not really care anymore, but he still does. The track really got back to the roots of the second album, which was nice to hear after their ballad filled third album, When The Word Comes Down.

The only released single off the new album is “Beekeeper’s Daughters.” Truthfully, it sounds a little out there. After listening to and reading the lyrics it makes a little more sense. It’s about a typical jerk who breaks hearts and does not break a sweat. Girls are just pretty little flowers who make themselves up to be great, but then they show their true selves; and he’s a just a busy little bee, trying to buzz through them all. He doesn’t want any commitment, just a good time. “Beekeeper’s Daughter” has all the elements of a 90s beach jam, incorporating horns to add the final touch.  

A less popular track on the album, “Out the Door,” starts out as a slow ballad that eventually become less tranquil and more loud screaming noise. From the beginning it is manageable, even calm, then the transition seems only a few lyrics long, then the sound is more headache than heartache.

Compared to “Out the Door,” “I For You” is a consistently slow ballad with a soothing quality. It is more of a slow dance song. The track seems very brave for a pop punk album, but sometimes even Alternative needs to slow it down on occasion. It is one of their more peaceful songs. It also displays strong vocals of lead singer Tyson Ritter. It only last 2:35 and it works as a closeout song for the album.

Combining the hooks and melodies of Move Along with the youth of The All-American Rejects and the tempo of When the World Comes Down, Kids in the Street has something for everyone.

But listen to the album to judge if it is a true reject or not.