Toy Story 3 goes to infinity and beyond

On November 2, Toy Story 3 comes out on DVD and Blu-ray, and for anyone who is or isn’t a fan of the series, it’s definitely worth buying.

In addition to making its mark on the record charts—Toy Story 3 was the first animated film to reach $1 billion at the global box office — Toy Story 3 presents a quality story and is a heartwarming conclusion to the series so many have grown up with.

Kenni Ther, junior, grew up watching the original Toy Story movies. Ther saw Toy Story 3 the night it came out in 2D. He loved the movie and said the third was the best in the series.

“I loved Toy Story 3 because I’ve always loved Toy Story. I loved the first one and I loved the second one, and the third one was even better than both the others,” Ther said. “My friends sitting around me said I was like a little kid watching Toy Story for the very first time again.”

Fans of the Toy Story movies will enjoy Toy Story 3, because it incorporates new ideas while still holding on the original story’s charm.

“Toy Story 3 has prospered where others have faltered because it has simultaneously stayed true to its roots and expanded its reach. And because in ways both small and large the people behind the franchise simply love movies to death,” according to a June review by the Los Angeles Times.

Throughout the movie, it is obvious that that the producers, Pixar Animation Studios, really do love what they do. From the beginning Pixar short, Day and Night, until the last bittersweet scene, and even through the end of the credits, Toy Story 3 is filled with the perfect mix of action, suspense, humor, and emotion that viewers have come to expect from Pixar movies.

Toy Story 3 introduces a few new characters without getting rid of too many old characters. In addition to the main roles, Woody (Tom Hanks), and Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen), many of the secondary characters from the original toy gang return in the third movie.  Among those who return are Jessie, Bullseye, Hamm, Rex, Slinky, and Mr. and Mrs. Potato head.

A few new characters also take the stage. Barbie (Jodi Benson) appears, as well as Ken (Michael Keaton). The two fall in and out of love and provide a source of humor throughout the movie.

“There are so many kudos to pass around that one doesn’t know where to start… but if I have to start somewhere it’s going to be with Ken, voiced by Michael Keaton. He is hysterically funny as the self-conscious ‘cool guy.’ The scenes with him and Barbie will have you giggling like a little kid (if you’re not one any more),” wrote Vic Holtreman in a  http://screenrant.com review.

The ‘little kid again’ feeling is one of Toy Story 3’s greatest features. Jordan Smith, senior, saw the movie in June and enjoyed it because he could relate with Andy’s wish to hold onto his childhood.

“I definitely like it because…as you’re growing up, if you’re not maturing as fast as everybody else, then you feel like you’re an outcast. So you don’t want to say ‘well, I still want to play with those toys. I still want to be a child. I still want to have fun and just relax.’ Whereas, that’s what this whole movie’s about,” Smith said. “[Andy’s] growing up, he’s going off to college, yet he still has that passion to play with his toys that he’s had his whole life. I will admit I’ve always wanted that…I think it’s just that secretive feeling that everybody has, really all of them want to go back and remember their childhood, but they don’t want to admit that they still want to be a child.”