Democracy Needs Teen Voices

October 7, 2016

You cannot choose your own curfew, your teachers, or where you’re going to high school, but you can choose your representatives in the government.
This election more than ever affects the younger generation. Students have strong beliefs about abortion, legalizing marijuana, police brutality, and rising college costs, so voting allows them to have a voice in the issues they care about. Additionally, there is still an unselected Supreme Court Justice who will likely sit for most of students’ lives.

The climate of this election closely parallels that of the 1960s, when there were political revolutions across America. It was a decade of debate over social issues of all kinds: civil rights, gender inequality, abortion, among others similar to today’s.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 50.9 percent of 18 to 29 year olds voted in the 1964 presidential election. In 2012, youth voter turnout was only 45 percent, according The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE). A five percent decline may not seem like much, but that equates to 2.45 million fewer voters.

Americans are lucky to be able to vote for their leaders, even if neither candidate seems fit for the position. At the bare minimum, a vote functions to keep the worst representatives out of office, and not just on a presidential scale. Not only is the presidential office at stake, but Illinois has one senator and all 18 house representatives up for re-election.

However, this year is a pivotal year for the presidential election, with voter discontentment at an all time high with their parties’ chosen representatives.
“Overall satisfaction with the choice of candidates is at its lowest point in two decades,” according to the Pew Research Center. “Currently, fewer than half of registered voters in both parties – 43 percent of Democrats and 40 percent of Republicans – say they are satisfied with their choices for president.”

Voters can be quite vocal about their distaste, advocating to “Dump Trump” or wearing shirts proclaiming, “Hillary for Prison 2k16.” However, witty slogans mean absolutely nothing if Americans do not show up in November to make good on their word.

The primary elections that led to this voter displeasure were filled with debates. The televised matches brought youth issues to light, with Bernie Sanders especially commanding the hearts of Democratic millennials over hot topics like college debt. Sanders is no longer in the running, even discouraging supporters from writing in his name, but after his campaign, youth issues will likely continue to be subject of upcoming presidential debates.

Only 19.9 percent of young adults actually voted nation-wide in the 2014 midterm election, the lowest turnout ever recorded, according to CIRCLE. 19.9 percent is abysmal. Compared to the 2010 election, with a youth turnout of 24 percent according to CIRCLE, an already low number became lower.

Of course, these are midterm elections, so one may assume those elections are irrelevant. However, Congress is more important to students’ daily lives, as they are in charge of the actual lawmaking process. Students should vote for every elected official so they have a voice in every important issue on every level, all the way down to Lake Zurich.

Politics affect everyone’s lives, and it is time for young adults to take control of their futures. Nobody enjoys being told what to do, so individuals must choose representatives to advocate for their values and beliefs. That way, citizens make rules for themselves. Researching and voting for candidates who align with personal principles only benefits voters.

Voters must know which candidates align with their views. The most important quality of a voter is to be educated, because it is important to understand the system they participate in. Students and young adults can easily educate themselves through sources like teachers or a library, so it should not prevent them from making it to the polls. Even a simple Google search “how to vote” will show detailed instructions.

Bear Facts conducted a Twitter poll asking students if they felt their vote mattered. Only 60 percent said yes, about 15 percent more than those who actually vote. The other 40 percent represents the many people who do not care enough to cast a ballot, and if every young adult who refused to vote in the election actually cast a ballot, they could turn the tide.

It is important for citizens to be educated and involved in politics. This young generation is the future, but young adults must engage and help to determine what their future will be like. Whether you decide to “Make America Great Again” or to be “with Her,” voting red or blue across all levels might just be the vote to get your candidate into office.