Taylor Marshall, junior:

“At some schools I’ve gone to, I’ve had teachers treat me differently and just give me nasty, mean snarks, and saying different things that just don’t sit right with me. As far as Lake Zurich, I’m being completely honest, I’ve heard countless students drop the n-word from nothing, and think it’s funny and think it’s a joke,” Marshall said. “I feel like the mentality in this country is still the same; the laws may change but we have to remember that my grandmother was alive during segregation [and the] Jim Crow laws. This isn’t something that was hundreds and hundreds of years ago, this is still something that was just recently made illegal. And there’s still people in politics that voted for segregation so we have to remember that. It’s not over. It’s still going on. All people of color and minorities [are] still getting profiled; they’re still viewed differently. I mean, even to this day there are people of color who can’t wear their ethnic hairstyles to school because they’re viewed as unprofessional or not as pretty as some of the more caucasian hairstyles. People are pulled over for doing nothing or arrested or not hired, or just treated poorly.”

Bear Facts • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in