Beachy reads for your spring break

Whether or not you’re spending spring break in the sand and sun, Bear Facts knows you want to escape this winter’s cold, and what better way than through a sunny read? Bear Facts recommends these beachy reads:

Book of Bright Ideas by Sandra Kring:

When nine-year old Evelyn “Button” Peters befriends Winnalee Malone in the summer of 1961, a friendship is born that takes readers on an emotional journey. The story unfolds through nine-year old Button’s perspective, inviting readers to share in her anxiety as Winnalee’s bold and free-spirited ability to live out loud drags Button from her staid life and controlling mother. Together they share adventures and explore childhood mysteries, writing down their observations of adults and events in The Big Book of Bright Ideas. Winnalee tells Button that when they record 100 bright ideas, they will finally understand life. Winnalee herself is a mystery, though: she carries around a silver urn containing her mother’s ashes.

Here’s Bright Idea #94, written after the girls spend a day at the county fair: “If you always ride on the slow rides that don’t lift far off of the ground, just because you’re afraid of falling, you won’t fall far, that’s true, but you won’t get many thrills either. And you won’t be proud of yourself when the carnival’s over.”

Read the book and you will find lots of good advice about how to live life with child-like optimism.

Save the Date by Tamara Summers:

Save the Date follows the story of Jakarta or Jack, a high school junior just trying to fulfill her duties as a daughter, sister, and permanent bridesmaid as her two sisters both decide to get married in the same summer.

This would be a happy occasion if it were not for the Wedding Curse. Jack has already served as a bridesmaid to her two oldest sisters (she has five) and both times have ended in disaster, leading Jack to believe she is cursed when bringing dates to weddings, with hilarious evidence to back up her theory.

As Jack juggles her responsibility to her family, her own responsibilities, and trying to stay away from the cute wedding planner’s son while working with him daily, hilarity ensues in a cute and semi predictable manner, leaving readers laughing aloud from beginning to end.

Even if the turn of events throughout the novel may not be revolutionary, Save the Date is an endearing comedy and worth the time to read while relaxing, whether at home hiding from the cold or catching rays on the beach.

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Oh. My. Gods. is a beach read with a supernatural twist. Phoebe Castro’s life is already changing enough when her mom decides to move them from California to a Greek island after marrying a practical stranger, but then Phoebe learns her new school is filled with descendants of the Greek Gods and Goddesses.

Phoebe tries to find a way to fit in at school, pass her new (and very different) classes, and win the next cross country race, all while being outcast by her classmates for her lack of powers. Phoebe’s character is well developed and relatable as she undergoes issues any teenager can relate to- magical or not.

Oh. My. Gods. is a good read for anyone who enjoyed the Percy Jackson series or any mythological series really, as Childs puts a new and entertaining twist on classic mythology. This book is both light and funny and an excellent read for anyone looking for a non-educational but fun novel.