Bears lose to Warren 41-23 in girls’ basketball

The girls’ Varsity team was knocked below a .500 record tonight against the Warren Blue Devils.

The team started out positive, keeping their necks in the race and ending the first with only a 3 point deficit, 12-9. Sarah Stefaniu, senior guard, had an impressive first half, accounting for 6 of the teams’ points in the first alone.

The team was unable to respond to the Blue Devils’ rally late in the second quarter though, where Warren’s Alyssa Philips nailed baskets from passes under the hoop.

Despite holes in the defense, the Bears out-rebounded Warren in the first half. Sara Gazdacka, senior, and Elly Daleske, sophomore, led the defense as the team’s top rebounders.

The game started getting away from the Bears in the second half, when they were unable to defend Warren’s accurate shooting game.

Stefaniu managed to claim 7 more points for herself-making for a total of 13 for the night, contributing over half of the team’s points.

It was not until halfway through the fourth quarter when the team’s fate was sealed, as Warren pulled ahead and doubled the Bears on the scoreboard. The Bears fought back, but with little success, only able to close the point margin to a 41-23 loss.

“I think the team started off playing hard and kept it a close game. Then we had a tough [3rd] quarter and we started to lose it,” Casey McGinnis, sophomore who cashed in for two points, said. “That being said, I think we played together through the whole game and kept the team motivated to keep playing to the end, even though it was a tough loss.”

The girls will play on the road again at Mundelein this Saturday at 6pm.