Bears prepare for first round of playoffs

The LZHS Bears will face Crystal Lake South in the first round of the 7A football playoffs at Mel Eide Field this Saturday, October 27 at 2pm. 

The team enters the game as the reigning North Suburban Conference Lake Division champions with a record of 7-2. 

“I’m really happy with the way the season went,” Grant Soucy, senior, said. “One of our goals was to be conference champs, and accomplishing that goal was a big stepping stone for our team.”

Winning the conference was only one of the goals for the team this year, and Soucy says the team is doing everything in their power to return to Champaign for the State championship.  The game plan for this week is “to be LZ and play LZ style football,” Soucy said.

“[Crystal Lake South] is an old-fashioned running team.  They have big, strong guys, so we need to use our speed, outplay them, and stick to our game and what we do best,” Soucy said.

LZHS has made a playoff appearance eleven years in a row, so many of the seniors have experience in preparing for the postseason.

“When I was younger, all the seniors told me, ‘you’re so lucky you have one or two more years,’ and now that I’m a senior, it’s starting to hit me that this is the last time I’ll ever get to play football again,” Soucy said.  “It’s gonna be very special for me. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”