Cross country members help running community

Instead of sleeping in on a Sunday morning, some LZHS cross country members woke up early to volunteer at the Alpine Races on September 23, 2012. 

The Alpine Runners hold the Alpine Races every year, which include a half marathon, 5K, youth mile, and kids races.  Some LZHS cross country runners volunteered for setting up before the races and cleaning up after.

“We had to set up stations for water and Gatorade.  As the runners passed, we’d give them the drinks and we cheered them on,” Caitlin Shepard, freshman, said. “Then at the end, we helped clean up. We washed the tables and broke them down and dumped out the extra Gatorade and water.”

Shepard said it went very smoothly and she would do it again, even though the LZHS cross country members had to wake up early.

“We had to be there at 6am, but it was actually fun,” Shepard said.  “They brought breakfast for us.  There were bagels, bananas, yogurt, Nutrigrain bars, and orange juice.”

The cross country team has been volunteering for these races for several years, according to Shepard.  About ten girls volunteered for the races along with some runners from the boys team.

“I volunteered this year because I thought it would be fun.  I think it’s nice to help because not many people are willing to help out at the races,” Shepard said. “It was really fun.”