Seniors look to leave golf team on par

When an athlete enters his or her senior season, it would be easy for him or her to look forward to other things, like graduation, summer, college, and so on. But there are some who have an intense determination and incredible commitment to make it through their senior year strong.

The seniors on the boys’ golf team will make up the majority of the varsity team this year. Adam Shulte, John Passehl, Mark Noll, Joe Madura, and Alex Zuhlke have invested a great deal of hard work and time into making the team as strong as it is today and to insure that the team will carry their momentum with the same dedication in the future.

The seniors have set the standard on the team by taking lessons, working on their game on their own and practicing every day with the team. They sacrifice potential free time to ensure they are the best they can be.

The Past

As freshmen, the guys were just getting their wits about them as to what high school golf is all about. According to Terry Geoghegan, head coach, being underclassmen and inexperienced at the high school level, they could be influenced by anything and everything the upperclassmen said and did.

They followed behind a team with many role models.

“They remember being that age, and seeing how the upperclassmen behaved. I feel that was a positive to plant the seed for the future,” Geoghegan, said.

As they progressed through high school they maintained a diligent, dedicated attitude.

“They’ve worked really hard; they’ve improved greatly. When they realized they have potential, they took the time to work at it,” Geoghegan said. “It takes a lot of outside time that no one really ever sees.”

Geoghegan believes the ethics they learned early on made them the players they are today.

The Present

After playing in many competitions and tournaments in the past three years, the group enters senior year where they are now expected to be in the leadership roles.

Geoghegan is aware of how much his team has grown up.

“We have such a good group of seniors. They love the game, they respect the game, they respect our school, and they are great ambassadors for our school,” Geoghegan said. “It’s just a lot of fun, they’re great guys.”

While the players have changed, the goal has remained the same.

“I say for all the seniors, we’re all trying to interact with the freshmen and sophomores as much as we can,” Zuhlke said. “Ultimately they’re going to be taking our place, and they need to know what’s expected from them.”

Zuhlke recognizes the importance of having role models on a team, and believes the entire senior class is trying to step up and be those models by interacting with everyone, and making them feel like part of the team.

Geoghegan agrees and is proud of what his seniors have accomplished, and what they are still in the process of achieving.

“I don’t appoint captains,” Geoghegan said. “But I think they’re all leaders.”

The Future

As their senior season gets into full swing, the team has goals for this season as well as goals for the future of the team.

A goal for this season is to top reigning two time state champions Lake Forest in the regional and conference competition.

“It’s like being in Lake Zurich’s football conference. Because no matter how good you are, [someone] is always going to be better,” Geoghegan said.

Some players on the team have high expectations for themselves going into this season.

“I would really like to make state,” Adam Shulte, senior, said. “I made all conference and sectionals last year, and I would like to at least repeat that.”

Geoghegan believes that is fully within Shulte’s grasp.

“Adam has stepped up his game; he is one of the elite players in the area, and he’s worked really hard to get there,” Geoghegan said.

Shulte said he takes lessons and spends countless days golfing on his own during the offseason. He enjoys being out on the course because it gives him a chance to relax and take it easy for a while.

“It’s never been overly frustrating; I think that’s why I like it so much,” Shulte said.

The entire team tries to keep a calm, focused attitude while having as much fun as possible.

Shulte and Zuhlke agree the team has become inseperable.

“We kept getting closer and closer now we’re together all the time, and that’s something we want to pass on,” Zuhlke said.

Geoghegan believes the underclassmen are on the right path

“The underclassmen are very talented, and if they work hard like the seniors this year, they’ll get to their level,” Geoghegan said. “But this year’s seniors have definitely set the bar high.”