Varsity basketball takes a shot at a good season

The varsity boys’ basketball team has a tough season ahead, and they start out the season on the road with only three home games before the New Year. The team is trying to bounce back from a tough 4-15 record last season.

The team has been preparing with summer camps, a fall league, and open gyms two nights a week where they condition and play pick up games to stay in shape in the offseason.

“I think we’re better talent [-wise] and fundamentally,” Billy Pitcher, varsity basketball head coach, said. “This being my second year [as head coach], [the players] know my expectations better.”

The team’s preparation and skill will be challenged this season. Among the teams toughest competitors in this season’s schedule areWarren(30-5 last season),Mundelein(25-5 last season), and Zion-Benton (18-7 last season).

“Our conference isn’t the best, [but] it’s one of the best. They’re all good; there is not one bad team.Warrenwas second in state last year,” Pitcher, a business education teacher, said. “We added a tournament to eliminate some games [from our schedule] because the IHSA says you can have up to three tournaments. Hopefully that will help us get more wins.”

Pitcher has been working with this year’s team since this summer, when camp began, and they have spent time working hard in all areas of play.

“[The team knows me for my] competitiveness. It doesn’t matter if it’s a drill or a scrimmage or a game; I want to win,” Pitcher said.

The team’s work and progress in the offseason will be put to the test in the season opener next Monday, November 21 at Palatine High School in the Ed Molitor Thanksgiving Tournament at 7:30pm.

Players to watch:

Mirko Grcic, senior

Forward

Opinion on Schedule: “I think it’s going to be easier than last year, but we can’t take any game for granted. We have to take it one game at a time.”

Biggest challenge for the team: “Our size compared to last year. We’re not as big. We’re kind of scrappy against teams likeWarren andZion [Benton]. We don’t give up on fighting them, though.”

What do you think of the team?:  “As of right now we all  have a lot of chemistry. We’re all best friends. We can all handle different positions, we can dribble, we can pass, we can shoot.”

What are you known for on the team?: “Being a vocal leader, and a role model to the younger kids. I’m not used to [being vocal]. I’m not that vocal but I’m getting better at it and showing the younger kids what to do and what not to do, but it’s getting better.”

What’s the hardest part of basketball for you? “I’m trying to play guard and get acclimated to that. I’m too small to play forward in college, for my height I’d be a guard.”

Justin Peterson, senior

Small Forward

Opinion on Schedule: “[The schedule is] going to be tough. I think our conference is really good this year.”

Biggest challenge for the team: “Probably rebounding and defense. We’re really not that tall and a lot of teams are a lot taller than us.”                 

What do you think of this year’s team?: “We should be pretty good. We should [put up a] fight with every team we play with.”

What are you known for on the team? “I’m known as a shooter.” 

What’s the hardest part of basketball for you? “There’s a lot of running and a lot of plays you have to memorize.”

Ryan Roach, junior

Point Guard

Opinion on Schedule: “I think we’re going to do pretty well. We’ve prepared a lot; I think we have a good chance. We looked good in summer leagues, and we [had] open gyms in the offseason to [practice.]”

Biggest challenge for the team: “I think the biggest [challenge] is the fact that we’re small and maybe not as athletic. I think we can overcome [this] with good plays and practice.”

What do you think the team is going to look like?:  “We have good team chemistry. Everyone’s good friends, we all hang out. We’ve been looking good in open gyms. I think this is a promising year.”

What are you known for on the team?: “I’ve been known for working hard and being a team player. I show up to optional open gyms and work hard; I look to pass as much as I look to shoot. I like seeing the team do better more than seeing myself do better.”

What’s the hardest part of basketball for you?: “I’d say the hardest part is being able to play with teams likeMundelein and Zion-Benton. I think we overcome them by using preparation and strategy, scouting players seeing their strengths and weaknesses, and use that to even the playing field.”

Jeff O’Brien, senior

Forward

Opinion on Schedule: “It’s a tough conference, but we should be able to beat everyone in it.”

Biggest challenge for the team: “Probably finishing games and not letting go of the lead. Usually all the games are close, but we never finish [them], and hang on to the lead.”

What do you think of the team is going to look like?: “I think we’ll be better than last year. We’ve all been playing for a longer time together.”

What are you known for on the team?: “I shutdown their good players on defense and score. Usually in practice we go over that.”

What’s the hardest part of basketball for you?: “Being consistent. Sometimes I have good games, sometimes I have bad games.”