Bears best Geneva Vikings in first play-off round

The Bears came out on top Saturday with a narrow win over the Geneva Vikings.

Fewer fans than usual filed into Mel Eide to watch the Bears quickly fall behind Geneva off of a fumble on the first play 14 seconds into the game.  The future seemed dark for LZ , with the score 21-7 as half-time approached, but the Bears were able to quickly deliver 2 touchdowns in the final 1:27.

Late in the third, Geneva took a 21-24 lead with a 44-yard field goal. Then the Bears regained control of the lead when Mike Shield, senior, rocketed off a breakaway to bring home a 51-yard touchdown. Shortly after, Geneva fumbled the ball and Blake Moskal, senior, grabbed a pass on Geneva’s 15, allowing Zach Till, senior, to run in on the next play, giving the Bears a 35-24 lead. The Vikings were able to cash in for one last touchdown, but not soon enough as the Bears grabbed a first down and were able to run the clock down for a victory.

Overall the Bears came out on top for a 35-32 win, to advance in the Class 7A play-offs.

Till played a great game, with 120 rushing yards, 133 passing yards and 4 TD’s, until he was carried off the field with an ankle injury late in the 4th. Being such a key player, Lake Zurich hopes Till is cleared to play next Friday as the Bears match up against number 1 Glenbard West.