Girls’ track and field team hosts sectional meet

The girls’ track and field team ran a successful sectional meet Friday after the IHSA added the school to a rotation to host the event.

“We had a lot of coaches come up to us and tell us how smoothly [the meet] ran,” David Antczak, head coach of the girls’ track and field team, said.

Not only did coaches enjoy the meet at Lake Zurich, according to Antczak, but some of the athletes enjoyed running on their home track, Maddy Bridges, freshman sprinter, said.

“I felt really confident running at home because I knew the track and the area around it,” Bridges said.

Bridges competed in the 4×200 meter relay, which came in fifth place, and the 4×400 meter relay, which came in tenth place. Overall, the entire team came in tenth place out of 16 teams.

Antczak said the school was efficient because they were well-prepared to host the event.

“We had everything we needed, and nothing was delayed,” Antczak said.

Although the school ran the event well, according to Antczak, one thing to improve upon in the future is to have more walkie-talkies for communication. According to Antczak, the event was a big task that required a lot of work to prepare.

“I’m glad I have a four year break [before hosting the event again],” Antczak said. “It’s a big task, but we will be ready. We know what to fix and improve for next time.”

The girls’ team will host the event again in 2019.

Sidebar: A total of 16 teams came to the event, and a total of 611 participants competed in 20 different events.